D.J. Wilson is one of the best prospects in the Cubs’ farm system. He missed some time this season due to injury, but while with South Bend he has shown a significant uptick in power. All in all, it’s been a pretty good year at the plate for him.
But the best part of his game remains his glove, and that glove was on display in South Bend last night. The complete highlight video for the Cubs’ win is below, but if you want to see Wilson make a ridiculous catch in left center, jump to about the 1:13 mark.
[Brett: WOW. That was sweet.]
- Seth Frankoff: 4 IP, 4 R, 4 H, 5 BB, 3 K
- Brad Markey: 3 IP, 1 R, 3 H, 3 K
- John Andreoli: 3 for 4, BB, SB
- Mark Zagunis: 1 for 2, 3 BB
- Taylor Davis: 2 for 5
- Chesny Young: 1 for 3, HR, BB
- Stephen Bruno: 3 for 4
- Duane Underwood: 7 IP, 1 H, 6 K
- Preston Morrison: 2 IP, 1 H, 2 K
- Charcer Burks: 1 for 5, HR
- Jason Vosler: 1 for 4, HR
- Yasiel Balaguert: 1 for 3, HR, BB
- Ozzie Martinez: 2 for 4, 2 2B
- Erick Castillo: 2 for 4, 2B
- Michael Rucker: 6 IP, 4 R (3 ER), 7 H, 1 BB, 4 K
- Scott Effross: 2 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 2 K
- P.J. Higgins: 2 for 3, HR, BB
- Vimael Machin: 2 for 4
- Tyson Miller: 6 IP, 2 R (0 ER), 3 H, 1 BB, 6 K
- Chad Hockin: 2 IP, 1 H, 1 K
- Yeiler Peguero: 2 for 4
- Alberto Mineo: 2 for 4
- Brendon Little: 4 IP, 3 H, 1 BB, 3 K
- Brian Glowicki: 3 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 3 K
- Austin Filiere: 2 for 4, BB
- Alfredo Colorado: 5 IP, 1 R, 4 H, 3 BB, 5 K [Brett: Can this kid please become a serious prospect? That name. Magnificent.]
- Brendan King: 3 IP, 1 R, 3 H, 4 K
- Jose Gutierrez: 2 for 4, 3B, SB
- Fidel Mejia: 2 for 4, 2B
- Cam Balego: 1 for 3, 2B, BB
- Chesny Young has been in Iowa all season. Yesterday was his 99th game for the Triple A Cubs. And yesterday he picked up his first Triple A home run. That gives him six for his career.
- After maintaining a pretty good 3.08 ERA through 61.1 innings of relief in Tennessee, the Cubs have bumped right hander Brad Markey to Triple A. Markey’s strikeout rate ticked up to 8.66 K/9 as a (almost) pure reliever this year, and his walk rate fell to a very good 1.91 BB/9. He could be a middle relief candidate for the Cubs sometime next season.
- Yesterday was the best start of the season for Underwood. His 2017 has been very inconsistent, particularly in the walks department, but it seems like the good innings are starting to outnumber the rough innings by a wider and wider margin. That’s a good sign.
- If you have not been keeping up with the unveiling of the Mid-Season Top 40 Prospects List, then you have some weekend reading to look forward to. Yesterday we named the new number one, right-handed pitcher Jose Albertos, and talked quite a bit about a couple other pretty good pitching prospects as well.