First round pick Alex Lange made his second third start of the season for Eugene last night, and since he was at home, anyone with MiLB.tv access finally has some good video of him to check out. There aren’t many highlights of his pitching up yet; the best place to see him in action is to watch the game footage itself.
And he was definitely good. Lange was limited to just three innings and 36 pitches, and in those innings he allowed but one hit and no walks while striking out five.
That’s not all. When Lange exited the game, Jesus Camargo picked up right where Lange left off. Camargo allowed just one hit over five innings himself, and struck out four while walking none. For eight innings, the Emeralds had just about the best pitching they could have hoped for.
As is so often the case with good pitching performances, the defense had to step up a time or two themselves. Brandon Hughes did the honors in this game, traveling a long way in from right to snag what looked to be a shallow single.
- Aaron Brooks: 5.1 IP, 7 R, 12 H, 2 BB, 2 K
- Pierce Johnson: 2.2 IP and a line of zeroes.
- Jack Leathersich: 1 IP, 1 K
- John Andreoli: 1 for 2, 3B, BB, SB
- Jemile Weeks: 2 for 4, BB, SB
- Mike Freeman: 1 for 5, HR
- Taylor Davis: 2 for 5, 2B, HR
- Bijan Rademacher: 3 for 4, BB
- Jacob Hannemann: 2 for 5, 2B
- Elliot Soto: 1 for 4, 2B
- Zach Hedges: 6 IP, 1 R, 7 H, 1 BB, 2 K
- James Norwood: 1 IP, 1 H, 2 K
- Charcer Burks: 3 for 4, 3B
- Carlos Penalver: 2 for 3
- Ian Rice: 1 for 3, HR
- Trey Martin: 2 for 3, SB
Bilxoi 1, Tennessee 0
In Game 2, the Smokies were on the wrong end of a no hitter.
- Tom Hatch: 5 IP, 1 R, 2 H, 2 BB, 6 K
- David Berg: 3 IP, 3 K
- Dakota Mekkes: 2 IP, 2 K
- Zack Short: 2 for 6, 2B
- P.J. Higgins: 2 for 6
- Eddy Martinez: 2 for 5, 2B
- Matt Swarmer: 4 IP, 7 R, 8 H, 3 BB, 3 K
- Jhon Romero: 2 IP, 1 H, 5 K
- Darryl Wilson: 1 for 4, 3B
- Andruw Monasterio: 2 for 4, 2B
- Chris Pieters: 2 for 3, BB
- Yeiler Peguero: 2 for 2, BB
- Alex Lange: 3 IP, 1 H, 5 K
- Jesus Camargo: 5 IP, 1 H, 4 K
- Jhonny Bethencourt: 1 for 3, 3B
- Eugene’s low scoring game came despite a 13 MPH wind blowing out to center.
- Lange’s pitch count is nothing to worry about. He tossed a ton of innings in college this year, so the Cubs are simply limiting how much additional work he gets so as not to overtax his arm. It doesn’t mean anything for how he can or will be used later on in his career.