This is not a part of minor league baseball we talk about often, but from time to time it deserves a spotlight. Minor league baseball has some of the most strict drug testing you are going to find anywhere in baseball, and every year quite a few players from many organizations get busted for performances enhancing or recreational drugs. So far this year, per Baseball America, I count 61 total players hit with suspensions.
None of them were Cubs.
The Cubs are not the only completely clean (so far) organization, and they have not been a completely clean organization every year under this front office, but in general drug related suspensions are not something I’m worried about with this organization. Credit for that probably goes to the front office as well as the coaches, trainers, and the players themselves. Of course, the season isn’t over yet, so we shouldn’t celebrate too soon.
Interestingly, most or the organizations that have been busted are repeat offenders for the season. I see multiple Orioles, Cardinals, Mariners, Dodgers, and Angels on the list, and that’s just from a quick scan.
- Pierce Johnson: 3 IP, 2 R, 3 H, 1 BB, 7 K
- Brad Markey: 3 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 2 K
- Dillon Maples: 1.1 IP, 3 R, 1 H, 3 BB, 1 K
- John Andreoli: 1 for 3, 2B, BB
- Jacob Hannemann: 1 for 2, 2B, BB
- Chris Dominguez: 2 for 4, 2B
- Chris Nunn: 0.2 IP, 4 R, 3 H, 3 BB, 1 K
- Daury Torrez: 4.1 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 3 K
- Jake Stinnett: 2.1 IP, 2 K
- Charcer Burks: 3 for 5, 2B
- Jason Vosler: 2 for 4, 2 2B, BB
- Yasiel Balaguert: 2 for 5
- Trey Martin: 1 for 4, 2B
- Osvaldo Martinez: 2 for 4
High A: Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The Pelicans were rained out.
- Manuel Rondon: 5 IP, 2 R, 4 H, 3 BB, 7 K
- Tyler Peyton: 2 IP, 1 H, 1 BB
- Aramis Ademan: 2 for 4, 3B, HR
- D.J. Wilson: 1 for 4, 2B
- Austin Upshaw: 2 for 4, 2B
- Alberto Mineo: 2 for 3, 2B, BB
- Javier Assad: 3.2 IP, 6 R (5 ER), 8 H, 3 BB, 3 K
- Ben Hecht: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 1 K
- Miguel Amaya: 1 for 3, 2B
- Jose Gonzalez: 1 for 3, 3B
- Brendan King: 3 IP, 2 R, 4 H, 4 K
- Alfredo Colorado: 6 IP, 1 R, 5 H, 1 BB, 4 K
- Marcus Mastrobuoni: 1 for 3, HR, BB
- Cam Balego: 2 for 3, 2B, BB
- Delvin Zinn: 2 for 4
- Carlos Diaz: 1 for 4, 2B
- The final out in Iowa’s game was pitched by Chris Dominguez. The corner infielder. That’s what happens when a bullpen game starts to get out of hand in the ninth.
- The last pitcher on the mound for the Smokies was Cael Brockmeyer. The catcher. Bullpen game, getting away, etc, etc.