Addison Russell began his rehab assignment in Iowa yesterday, and right away he looked good at the plate. In the first inning he drove a double deep into the gap in right center.
Iowa has no more home games, and they are down to just seven games total. Their season ends Monday. I don’t know how long Russell will stay with Iowa, but one possibility is that when Iowa leaves Memphis for Omaha on Thursday night, Russell hops on a different plane and rejoins the major league team on Friday.
- Jen-Ho Tseng: 5 IP, 1 R, 5 H, 2 K
- John Andreoli: 2 for 5
- Addison Russell: 1 for 3, 2B
- Taylor Davis: 3 for 4, 2B, BB
- Jacob Hannemann: 1 for 3, HR, BB, SB
- Chris Dominguez: 2 for 4, 2B
- Jen-Ho Tseng: 1 for 2, 2B
- Chris Nunn: 5.1 IP, 3 R, 4 H, 3 BB, 5 K
- James Norwood: 2 IP, 1 H, 1 K
- Yasiel Balaguert: 2 for 5
- Ian Rice: 2 for 3, 2 BB
- Trey Martin: 3 for 5, 2 2B
High A: Myrtle Beach Pelicans
Myrtle Beach had the day off.
- Manuel Rondon: 5 IP, 3 R, 6 H, 2 BB, 3 K
- Mark Malave: 2 IP, 3 H, 1 BB, 4 K
- Wyatt Short: 2 IP, 1 BB, 2 K
- Andruw Monasterio: 2 for 4, 3B, HR
- Aramis Ademan: 1 for 4, SB
- Darryl Wilson: 2 for 4, 2B, HR
- Kevonte Mitchell: 1 for 4, SB
- Austin Upshaw: 2 for 3, 2 2B, BB
- Yeiler Peguero: 2 for 3
- Jose Albertos: 4 IP, 3 R (2 ER), 2 H, 2 BB, 5 K
- Keegan Thompson: 3 IP, 2 H, 7 K
- Zach Davis: 3 for 5, 2B, SB
- Michael Cruz: 1 for 3, 2B, BB
- Gustavo Polanco: 2 for 4, HR
- Chris Singleton: 1 for 3, 2B, BB
- Faustino Carrera: 5.2 IP, 4 H, 3 BB, 2 K
- Mitch Stophel: 1 IP, 1 H, 3 K
- Jose Gutierrez: 3 for 5, 2B
- Jonathan Sierra: 1 for 3, 2B
- Nelson Velazquez: 2 for 3, HR
- Delvin Zinn: 2 for 4
- Through eight Iowa starts Jen-Ho Tseng has an ERA of 1.69. Whether in September or in the offseason, I think he is a lock to be added to the 40-man roster. Whether or not he comes up in September may come down to how badly the Cubs want to shut him down. His 138.1 innings are already an increase of 25 innings over last season. The Cubs may not want to push him much higher.
- After a couple of switches in Iowa’s game, Victor Caratini briefly found himself playing third base.
- South Bend now trails Bowling Green by a single game for third place in the division. That is important because, right now, third place is the second postseason qualifier in the second half. Bowling Green has lost nine straight games.
- Eugene is now tied with Boise for second place in the division, two games behind first half winner Hillsboro. If Hillsboro stays on top, then we look at the overall standings where Eugene leads Boise by two games.
- Arizona is still in a three way tie for first place in their division with the Angels and Giants.