Alec Mills was once part of the Cubs’ Major League rotation depth in Iowa, but injuries derailed his season. He is still a promising young pitcher, though, and if he is healthy in the spring is probably a guy who could compete for the fifth starter slot in spring training.
Yesterday he made his first rehab start for Myrtle Beach. He pitched only four innings (58 pitches) and gave up a lot of hits, but he also only walked one guy and generated five groundouts versus one out in the air. It wasn’t a great rehab start, but it wasn’t bad either. A couple more like it and he’d be in good shape. Unfortunately, the minor league season is about to run out on him.
Mills is on the 40-man roster, so if he is healthy he is a possible bet to be called up in September.
- Rob Zastryzny: 5 IP, 3 R, 6 H, 6 K
- Brad Markey: 3 IP, 2 H, 2 K
- John Andreoli: 2 for 5
- Victor Caratini: 2 for 3, 2 2B, BB
- Stephen Bruno: 2 for 4
- Duane Underwood: 6 IP, 6 R (4 ER), 9 H, 1 BB, 2 K
- Preston Morrison: 2 IP, 1 R, 3 H, 1 BB
- Ian Rice: 1 for 4, 2B
- Andrew Ely: 1 for 2, 2 BB
- Alec Mills: 4 IP, 3 R, 7 H, 1 BB, 2 K
- Ryan Kellogg: 3 IP, 1 H
- Jesse Hodges: 1 for 4, 2B
- Connor Myers: 1 for 3, 2B
Low A: South Bend Cubs
South Bend had the day off.
- Brendon Little: 3 Ip, 2 R, 2 H, 3 BB, 2 K
- Zach Davis: 2 for 5, SB
- Austin Filiere: 2 for 4
- Michael Cruz: 2 for 4, 2B
- Miguel Amaya: 2 for 4, 2B
- Jared Young: 4 for 4, 2B
- Chris Singleton: 2 for 4, 2B
- Stephen Ridings: 2 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 2 K
- Fauris Guerrero: 3.1 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 3 K
- Carlos Sepulveda: 2 for 5
- Marcus Mastrobuoni: 2 for 2, 2 BB
- Jose Gutierrez: 2 for 5
- Yesterday there were no games in the Midwest League. It is not very often that it happens that every single team is off at the same time, but it does mean the standings don’t change. South Bend is still one game behind free falling Bowling Green for the final playoff slot.
- Boise won yesterday, and Hillsboro lost. That means Boise is just one game behind Hillsboro in the division (Eugene is two back) and that Boise is within a game of Eugene in the overall standings. If the season ended today Eugene would be in the playoffs. Boise’s final series is with Hillsboro, though, and if Boise passes Hillsboro then Eugene is left out.
- Mesa, meanwhile, is now in sole possession of first place. If the Arizona Cubs win out, they win the division and make the playoffs. Currently the Cubs are riding a seven game winning streak.
- The Arizona Fall League rosters have been announced, and the Cubs are sending a good mix of pitchers who need innings and players who are Rule 5 eligible and might need a spot on the 40-man. We’ll have more on this later on.