The playoff hopes of the South Bend Cubs come down to one series. South Bend needs to catch Bowling Green in order to make the playoffs, and today they start a series in Bowling Green. The Cubs trail the Hot Rods by two games as the series begins. If the Cubs win all three, they finish third in the division and clinch the second playoff slot from the Midwest League Eastern division in the second half.
The Cubs have stumbled a bit in the past couple of games, but in general they have been playing fantastic baseball lately. Bowling Green, on the other hand, is not playing well. A sweep is doable. Tough, particularly on the road, but doable.
- Scott Carroll: 6 IP, 4 R (3 ER), 7 H, 2 BB, 4 K
- Jack Leathersich: 1 IP, 1 H, 3 K
- Pierce Johnson: 1 IP, 1 H
- Matt Carasiti: 1 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 1 K
- John Andreoli: 1 for 5, HR
- Stephen Bruno: 2 for 5, HR
- Taylor Davis: 2 for 3, 2 2B, BB
- Elliot Soto: 1 for 4, 2B
- Matt Swarmer: 4 IP, 10 R, 13 H, 6 K
- Preston Morrison: 3 IP, 1 R, 2 H, 5 K
- Charcer Burks: 2 for 4, 2B, BB
- David Bote: 2 for 3, BB
High A: Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The Pelicans were rained out.
- Erling Moreno: 5.2 IP, 4 R, 5 H, 1 BB, 3 K
- Tyler Peyton: 3.1 IP, 3 H, 1 BB
- Alberto Mineo: 1 for 3, 2B
- Tyler Payne: 1 for 3, 2B
- Elvis Diaz: 3 IP, 0 R, 2 H, 1 BB, 4 K
- Will Remilard: 3 for 5, 2 2B
- Jhonny Bethencourt: 2 for 3, 2B, 2 BB
- Austin Filiere: 2 for 4, 2B, 2 BB
Rookie: AZL Cubs
Arizona had the night off.
- If you’re feeling nostalgic for the long ago days of a couple years ago, the Tennessee Smokies have come out with two more videos in their Smokies Rewind series. Here are some of the Double A highlights of Baez and Schwarber.
- Minor league playoff pictures at the lowest levels sure are complicated. To that end …
- Thanks to an AZL Angels win last night, the Cubs are heading into the final game of the season with a half a game lead over the Angels. If the Cubs lose today I honestly have no idea what happens. The Arizona League does not document their tie breakers, and a Cubs loss ends the season in a tie. If the Cubs win, though, they win the division outright and will advance to Arizona Rookie League’s unique single game elimination style playoffs next week.
- Eugene is still hanging onto their playoff slot, but they aren’t out of the woods yet. If they win out and get a little help from Hillsboro, they are in the postseason. If they finish the season in a tie with Boise, things get more complicated. I still think Eugene makes it, so we’ll wait to ponder tiebreaker scenarios until we have to.