The Arizona Cubs played their final regular season game yesterday afternoon. They won that game, and that means they won the division title for the second half. The AZL Cubs of the Arizona Rookie League now advance to the playoffs.
These are really weird playoffs. The Arizona Rookie League sends six teams to the postseasons. Two of them get a first round bye, but since each round is one game, that bye is only one day long. In short, if the Cubs win three more games, they win the Arizona Rookie League in 2017.
In the Northwest League, a combination of a Eugene win and a Boise loss has propelled the Eugene Emeralds back into the playoffs. The Emeralds will earn the second half playoff ticket for their division and will have a shot to defend their 2016 Northwest League title.
Meanwhile, the South Bend Cubs dropped their first contest in Bowling Green. That means the Cubs cannot finish in third place and will not make playoffs. South Bend’s season will end on Monday.
- Jen-Ho Tseng: 7 IP, 2 R, 8 H, 1 BB, 3 K
- Pierce Johnson: 1 IP, 3 K
- John Andreoli: 2 for 4, BB, 2B
- Bijan Rademacher: 2 for 4, BB, SB
- Taylor Davis: 2 for 4, BB
- Casey Bloomquist: 7 IP, 3 R, 9 H, 1 BB, 2 K
- Daury Torrez: 2 IP, 1 H, 1 K
- Charcer Burks: 1 for 3, 2B, BB
- Yasiel Balaguert: 1 for 4, 2B
- Jeffrey Baez: 1 for 1, 2B
- Duncan Robinson: 4.2 IP, 4 R (3 ER), 7 H, 2 BB, 4 K
- Jordan Minch: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 2 K
Carolina 4, Myrtle Beach 3
The Pelicans were swept in the doubleheader.
- Tom Hatch: 4.2 IP, 4 R, 6 H, 2 BB, 6 K
- Jesse Hodges: 3 for 4, 2B
- Eddy Martinez: 1 for 3, 2B
- Tyler Pearson: 1 for 3, 2B
- Tyson Miller: 6 IP, 3 R, 5 H, 2 BB, 3 K
- Andruw Monasterio: 2 for 4, 2B
- Jhonny Pereda: 2 for 4
- Cory Abbott: 3 IP, 2 R, 3 H, 4 K
- Enrique De Los Rios: 5 IP, 1 R, 2 H, 4 K
- Zach Davis: 4 for 5, 2B, 3B
- Jared Young: 4 for 5, 2B
- Michael Cruz: 2 for 3, HR
- Brandon Hughes: 1 for 4, 2B
- Emilio Ferrebus: 6 IP, 1 R, 4 H, 2 BB, 5 K
- Jeremiah Estrada: 2 IP, 2 H, 2 BB, 2 K
- Jose Gutierrez: 1 for 5, 3B
- Carlos Sepulveda: 2 for 5, 2B
- Jonathan Sierra: 2 for 4, BB, 2 SB
- Luis Hidalgo: 1 for 4, 2B
- Yovanny Cuevas: 1 or 4, 2B
- For the fourth year in a row, including all three years they have been part of the Cubs’ organization, South Bend has set a franchise attendance record. This year over 354,000 fans came out to watch the lowest level full season team in the Cubs’ farm system, and they got to see some of the better prospects in the system.
- We do not yet know the schedule for the Arizona Rookie League playoffs, and we likely won’t know until the game are played. I would expect the Cubs to be in action no later than Monday, and for the entire playoffs to be complete by midweek.