This is it, folks. If you have not made it to a minor league game yet this season, today may be your last day. Some leagues have already wrapped up, more will finish up today, and the rest by mid-week. The minor league season is ending. Hopefully you made it to a minor league game or ten this year; if not, start making plans for next year. Your options for this season are fast running out.
Fortunately, we have some playoffs to talk about. Eugene and Myrtle Beach both won their league titles in 2016, and both of those teams are back to defend their titles.
Arizona has already started their playoffs, and win or lose it will all be over a couple of days. The Arizona Rookie League playoffs are only three games long.
As for Iowa, Tennessee, and South Bend? They’ll vanish from the Daily once they have played their last game, and we won’t see them again until spring.
- Steve Perakslis: 4 IP, 2 R, 3 H, 4 BB 5 K
- John Andreoli: 1 for 5, HR
- Jacob Hannemann: 2 for 4, SB
- Chris Dominguez: 2 for 4, 2B
- Elliot Soto: 2 for 4, 2B, HR
- Chris Nunn: 6 IP, 2 H, 4 K
- Jake Stinnett: 2 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 4 K
- Tommy Thorpe: 2 IP, 1 H
- Kevin Cornelius: 2 for 5, 2B
- Alec Mills: 5 IP, 1 H, 5 K
- Scott Effross: 1 IP, 2 K
- P.J. Higgins; 2 for 4, 2B
- Roberto Caro: 1 for 3, SB
- Manuel Rondon: 5.2 IP, 2 R, 2 H, 3 BB 5 K
- Andruw Monasterio 2 for 4, SB
- Austin Upshaw: 2 for 4
- Tyler Payne: 1 for 4, 2B
- Keegan Thompson: 3 IP, 2 H, 3 K
- Ricky Tyler Thomas: 1.2 IP, 1 BB, 3 K
- Michael Cruz: 2 for 3, 2B
- Jose Gonzalez: 1 for 4, 2B
- Danis Correa: 5 IP, 4 R, 7 H, 5 K
- Fauris Guerrero: 4 IP, 2 R (1 ER), 3 H, 1 BB, 6 K
- Nelson Velazquez: 2 for 5, HR
- Marcus Mastrobuoni: 2 for 4
- Cam Balego: 2 for 4, 2B, HR
- After struggling in his Tennessee debut, left hander Chris Nunn pitched pretty well in his final three games (including six shutout innings yesterday). It is too early to really know for sure what the Cubs might have in this former independent ball pitcher, but I’m looking forward to seeing what he can do next season.
- Alec Mills turned in a solid rehab start for the Pelicans in his second appearance there. He may pick up another rehab start or two in the playoffs, and he may yet get the call to Chicago before the end of the month.
- The Arizona Cubs have won their first playoff game. That means they are on to the semi-finals and are one win away from a trip to the championship match. They are two wins away from claiming the title.