The Cubs had a mixed long weekend, starting with a couple wins, ending with a couple losses, and getting good and bad news on the injury front.
Skim the headlines if you missed anything …
Friday, September 1
- The Cubs had a fantastic August, and a more potent one than they’ve seen in 80+ years.
- Unfortunately, we learned that Addison Russell’s plantar fasciitis flareup is going to cost him another three weeks.
- Among Friday’s Bullets, Justin Verlander was hoping to come to the Cubs.
- The Brewers got mad at the Cubs again for a scheduling issue.
- A flurry of September 1 roster moves for the Cubs, including the arrival of Dillon Maples.
- Albert Almora doesn’t get a ton of attention these days, but he crushes lefties and makes great catches.
- The Cubs were in on Justin Verlander at the waiver trade deadline, but they weren’t going to spend significant prospects to get him.
- The Cubs beat the Braves 2-0, and one of those two runs came when Javy Baez scored from second base on a swinging bunt. It was glorious.
- Kyle Schwarber also made a great catch in the game … followed by a hilarious roll.
Saturday, September 2
- Considering John Lackey as a playoff starter, among other things in Saturday’s Bullets.
- Jed Hoyer got into a range of topics, including Jake Arrieta’s free agency and injury issues.
- The Cubs held on for a wild 14-12 win over the Braves.
Sunday, September 3
- Arizona and Eugene made their league’s playoffs.
- Anthony Rizzo is making Cubs history, so that’s fun.
- The Cubs couldn’t pull off the sweep against the Braves, and Javy Baez left early after sliding into a knee.
- The Cubs headed out for the road trip donning football jerseys, and it was pretty great.
Monday, September 4
- The Brewers deserve some credit, I’m sorry to say.
- Ian Happ has gone homer crazy this year.
- Apparently Javy Baez is dealing with some minor left thumb soreness, even though his eye/head issue was not enough to keep him out of the lineup.
- Speaking of that, being without Baez leaves nothing but scary scenarios for the Cubs.
- Jake Arrieta won NL Pitcher of the Month honors for August, which of course portended doom.
- Taylor Davis and his trademark stare is coming up to the Cubs.
- As part of that call-up, though, the Cubs lost outfielder Jacob Hannemann on waivers to the Mariners.
- The Cubs also lost lefty Jack Leathersich on waivers to the Pirates.
- Jake Arrieta left Monday’s game very early after dealing with a scary-looking leg issue.
- The Cubs wound up getting blown out by the Pirates in the game, but at least the news after the game was tentatively positive on Arrieta – it *might* not be awful.