In what is becoming an annual occurrence, the Cubs’ organization is the home of a championship team. [EDIT: WHOOPS! The AZL championship series is in fact a series – we mistakenly had it as a one-gamer. The Cubs have won the first game of the series, but still need another win to take home the title. Our bad!]
While this bodes well for the medium term future of the farm system, we shouldn’t get too excited yet. There will be plenty of time for that (if warranted) over the coming years.
High A: Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The Pelicans open their defense of their two straight Carolina League titles tonight at Down East. Michael Rucker will be on the mound for Myrtle Beach to open the best of five series, and the team will get a boost in the form of Willson Contreras.
Short Season A: Eugene Emeralds
The Emeralds open their best of three series against Hillsboro today, smoke permitting. Jose Albertos, the best prospect in the system, will probably be on the mound for Eugene.
- Alfredo Colorado: 6 IP, 2 R (1 ER), 6 H, 5 K
- Brendon King: 2.2 IP, 2 R, 6 H, 1 BB, 5 K
- Nelson Velazquez: 1 for 5, HR
- Luis Hidalgo: 2 for 5
- Cam Balego: 2 for 4, BB
- Delvin Zinn: 3 for 4, SB
- For the first time I can remember since I started covering the Cubs’ farm system, a game has been postponed due to smoke. The wildfires near Eugene, Oregon have caused severe air quality problems in Eugene, and as a result all involved parties agreed to move the start of the Northwest League playoffs in Eugene from yesterday to today.
- The voice of the Pelicans, Scott Kornberg, has been named the co-Broadcaster of the Year for the Carolina League.