The Cubs have one championship locked in (Arizona), but after yesterday there are only two more they can pick up (Chicago and Eugene). Myrtle Beach lost in the first game of their potential doubleheader, and that ended their season.
After winning the Carolina League title two years in a row, this year they went down in the semi-finals. That is a very impressive three year run.
Now the Eugene Emeralds are the last of the Cubs’ farm teams playing. They begin the Northwest League championship series tonight.
- Alec Mills: 6 IP, 2 R (1 ER), 6 H, 4 K
- Pedro Araujo: 1 IP, 1 H, 1 BB
- Zack Short: 1 for 3, 2B, BB
- Willson Contreras: 1 for 2, 2 BB
- Eddy Martinez: 1 for 2
- Connor Myers: 1 for 2
Short Season A: Eugene Emeralds
The Northwest League Championship Series starts tonight in Eugene. This is a best of five series that will remain in Oregon today and tomorrow, and then shift to Vancouver the for as many other games are required. The Emeralds have not yet announced their starting pitchers.
- Had Myrtle Beach won both games of yesterday’s doubleheader, they would have been crowned co-champions of the Carolina League. With the threat of Hurricane Irma looming, the championship series has been cancelled. With any luck everyone can get well away from the South Carolina coast before it gets bad.