The offseason is in swing, and the rumors are rolling around. And the big, big news dropped on Friday.
Friday, November 10
- The big one: Shohei Ohtani is coming to MLB. It’s happening.
- New Cubs pitching coach Jim Hickey was pretty honest when asked about whether he’d be up for the Cubs going after free agent Alex Cobb.
- The Cubs’ big bats didn’t take home any Silver Sluggers – what’s up with that?
- Jed Hoyer says this could be a very busy offseason for the Cubs, but he’s not forgetting about NEXT offseason.
- Former Cubs hitting coach John Mallee landed on his feet.
- The Cubs’ minor league system produced a winning record this season, which is not entirely meaningless.
- Among the latest from the rumor mill, will the Cubs be in a bidding war for Greg Holland?
Saturday, November 11
- David Ross’s role with the Cubs will pick up, and more from the Bullets on Saturday.
- Alex Cobb talked about his free agency, and pretty much put it all out there about the Cubs.
- Jim Hickey has praise for Chris Archer, four teams are talking to the Marlins on Stanton, and more from the rumor mill.
Sunday, November 12
- Three-team trades are really hard to concoct because it is so often the case that one team gets the short stick – and that was the case in a proposed Cubs, Giants, Marlins deal that was comically bad for the Cubs.
- The Cubs didn’t go all the way in 2017, but would you really rate the season overall as a disappointment? Something to contemplate in the Bullets.
- Late on Sunday night, word broke that the Braves had found their new GM, and it’s Alex Anthopoulos.