The Thanksgiving holiday comes later this week, but with a roster deadline today and an Ohtani deadline today, we could see some movement soon.
Meanwhile, if you missed anything this weekend …
Friday, November 17
- Kris Bryant got a first place vote in the MVP race, which folks thought was weird (it kind of was), but it opened up an interesting discussion on how we value consistency.
- The battle over Shohei Ohtani’s posting rages on, with the MLBPA setting a Monday deadline to come to a new posting agreement – that, and much more on the Ohtani front.
- Although Alex Cobb gets the bulk of free agent starter attention thanks to his obvious connections to the Cubs, we wanted to look at a similarly compelling next tier starter in Tyler Chatwood.
- Cubs tickets will be increasing again for 2018, but not by nearly as much as the last two years.
- The first round of projections are out, and we can view the Cubs’ free agent targets through that lens. It’s not pretty.
- The Cubs’ farm system is not viewed as among the best, say, 25 in baseball … but I can still muster up some optimism.
- Friday’s Lukewarm Stove has the Mariners apparently trying to push for Ohtani, with lots of teams in on Tyler Chatwood, and more.
- The Marlins are officially accepting offers for Giancarlo Stanton, so that whole thing is off to the races.
Saturday, November 18
- Wondering about which Cubs young player you’d most hate to see them lose.
- Some fun on the Alex Cobb front on Saturday, with a report that the Cubs and Yankees could be in a “showdown” over the righty free agent.
- And then the Orioles came out as a pursuer of Cobb, too, which led to a discussion of where you draw the contract line.
Sunday, November 19
- Among Sunday’s Bullets, I got into the re-emerging debate about WAR, and some of the latent problems we can’t keep ignoring.
- On the Shohei Ohtani front, the Yankees are apparently viewed as an extremely strong favorite to land the Japanese star.
- And the day closed down with a mildly unsettling report that the Cardinals had made an official offer for Giancarlo Stanton.