The theme of this weekend was confusing discord among the players, their union, and the league.
Friday, February 2
- If the Cubs don’t sign one of the top four free agent starting pitchers, who else is available out there? I dug in.
- Luke looked at some Cubs positional prospects in the Dominican Summer League to watch.
- Players fighting, bullpen carts, and more from the Friday Bullets.
- Commissioner Manfred spoke on a range of topics facing the league.
- Keith Law’s top ten Cubs prospects is a pitcher frenzy.
- A prominent player agent spoke out about the signing freeze and suggested a Spring Training boycott.
- And soon thereafter two more agents spoke out, with the Players Association offering a cryptic statement of their own.
- Among the Friday items from the rumor mill, the Rangers are (still) out on Darvish, Holland could have received a big deal by now, and more.
Saturday, February 3
- We’ve got some very specific thoughts on how to improve the significant tanking situation in MLB.
- Even as we await another Cubs signing, it’s fun to be reminded just how good the offense can be.
- The latest from the Lukewarm Stove, with thoughts on how dug in various heels might be.
Sunday, February 4
- Among Sunday’s Bullets, I got thinking about the lack of another starting pitcher signed (yet), and how close the Cubs came to trading for Justin Verlander last year.
- The discord among the players and owners is making me nervous and frustrated.
- But at least the Players Association is saying – for now – that they aren’t threatening to boycott Spring Training.