The subtitle of last Monday’s “Weekend Catch-Up” included “Everyone’s Angry” and “Signing Freeze Out.”
My, oh my, how things can change in one week. Here’s what you may have missed this weekend …
Friday, February 9
- Friday started off with some MLBits on the messy winter we found ourselves in (the Cubs may have signed Yu Darvish, but we’re hardly out of the woods), the new Rays ball park, and the death of the quest for batting .400.
- Brett followed that up with an Obsessive Yu Darvish watch that was very prescient, in retrospect: Feinsend says “everybody” believes he’s going to the Cubs.”
- Friday’s Bullets included a discussion on the value Kris Bryant adds with his legs.
- The Cubs and Brewers got into a fun Twitter-battle.
- The Cubs perceived lack of interest in Jake Arrieta might be a problem for him in free agency.
- I wrote some long Cubs prospect notes, with some love and attention on the Cubs right-handed pitcher.
- Friday’s Lukewarm Stove included rumors of Greg Holland falling right into the Cardinals’ lap, and that annoyed me.
Saturday, February 10
- Saturday’s Bullets led off with a discussion of WHO CARES BECAUSE (see next bullet) …
- YU DARVISH FINALLY SIGNED A DEAL WITH THE CUBS! Woo!
- After the initial report, Brett got into the impact on the rotation, starting depth, and bullpen.
- We then filled our Saturday night with Yu Darvish highlights.
Sunday, February 11
- Which brings us to Sunday’s look into Jake Arrieta’s future and cost, now that the Cubs have (essentially) officially moved on.
- Yu Darvish can pitch left-handed, because he’s THE MAN.
- Sunday’s bullets were mostly Darvish-less, and focused on Ben Zobrist’s physical bounce back, and much more.
- We rolled out another Lukewarm Stove which included some thoughts on where the Brewers might go now that Darvish is off the table.
- And left you with a deep dive on everything Darvish, including my own reaction to the deal and all sorts of interesting links and facts.