Hey, that was pretty all right, eh? Things looked bleak heading into the 9th inning on Saturday, with the Cubs on the verge of dropping two of three to the Brewers after starting the season 2-3 against the Marlins and Reds. But the Cubs came back and pulled that out, and then they won yesterday. Suddenly, things look borderline good!
Friday, April 6
- The Iowa Cubs won a historic extra-innings game (because of that awful new rule).
- Chris Bosio’s exit from the team, what Javy Baez said to Ryan Braun, and other Bullets.
- Jon Lester had a big bounce back game against the Brewers.
- The Brewers lost closer Corey Knebel for a while.
- Javy Baez’s incredible baserunning got him a Willie Mays comp from Joe Maddon.
- Willson Contreras is freaking blistering the ball right now.
- A set of Cubs prospects notes, including an awesome catch, a former number two overall pick, and more.
- And speaking of Cubs prospects, the next installment of the top 40 Cubs prospects list.
- The Cubs lost one late to the Brewers, who walked off. The lone highlight was a little league homer for Javy Baez.
Saturday, April 7
- Doling out Happ and Zobrist playing time, problems from Friday’s game, and other Bullets.
- Thinking about Yu Darvish’s arsenal in advance of his second start, and what he didn’t throw the first time out.
- The Cubs came back late to beat the Brewers, thanks in part to a pinch hit Jon Lester bunt.
- Kris Bryant ripped his second homer of the year in the game.
Sunday, April 8
- Good pitching down on the farm, and great pitching from the big league team.
- More on Darvish and Morrow dealing, Bryant balling out, and other fun bullets.
- Anthony Rizzo’s back issues seem a little more troubling than typical for him.
- Some craziness from the Cardinals game, with Yadi Molina shoving an umpire and somehow not getting ejected.
- The Cubs blanked the Brewers to take the series.