The best part of minor league baseball being underway is that we always have baseball around somewhere. Even when snow shuts down Chicago, someone in the minors is playing.
Unfortunately, so far this year anyway, that doesn’t mean that someone is playing particularly well. The farm system as a whole is off to a rough start with the exception of South Bend. And South Bend was off yesterday.
But Tennessee had probably their best game of the year so far, so we have good things for you. Unfortunately, since all the Cubs’ farm teams were on the road, we don’t have a ton of highlights. You might have to imagine the awesomeness. I’m sure you’re up to it.
- Jen-Ho Tseng: 5 IP, 6 R, 7 H, 1 BB, 5 K
- Randy Rosario: 2 IP, 3 H, 1 K
- Mike Freeman: 1 for 3, 3B, 2 BB
- Mark Zagunis: 2 for 4
- Chris Gimenez: 2 for 4, 2B
- Wynton Bernard: 1 for 3, 3B
- Jacob Hannemann: 1 for 1, HR
- Trevor Clifton: 5 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 5 K
- Craig Brooks: 2 IP, 1 BB
- Tommy Nance: 0.2 IP, 2 R, 1 H, 3 BB
- Dakota Mekkes: 1.1 IP, 1 K
- Zack Short: 1 for 4, BB, SB
- Charcer Burks: 2 for 4, BB, SB
- Eddy Martinez: 1 for 4, BB, SB
- Ian Rice: 1 for 4, 2B, BB
- Trent Giambrone: 0 for 2, 2 BB, SB
- Trey Martin: 0 for 1, 2 BB
- Matt Swarmer: 5 IP, 1 R, 4 H, 1 BB, 8 K
- Jordan Minch: 2 IP, 1 H, 3 K
- Kevonte Mitchell: 1 for 3, SB
Low A: South Bend Cubs
The Cubs had the day off.
- If you’re looking for the entire Top 40 Prospects List all in one place, you’re in luck. That article ran yesterday and you can find it here.
- Altogether the Smokies finished with 10 walks and 4 stolen bases. That helps explain how they managed a pair of three run innings despite having just one extra base hit.
- Trevor Clifton turned in a fantastic start, particularly when you consider the wind was blowing fairly hard out to right. We don’t want to get too excited by one start, but if he has turned the corner that is excellent news for the Cubs.
- And don’t forget about the bullpen. Craig Brooks and Dakota Mekkes combined for 3.1 innings of hitless baseball. And Mekkes has his Double A career off to a streak of three scoreless appearances. Stay tuned.
- The offensive woes for the Pelicans masked a very solid game by their pitching. Swarmer made a perfectly fine five inning start, and Jordan Minch followed with two solid innings of relief. All in all, not a bad day for the pitching Pelicans.
- Ok, so we do have one highlight. Thanks to Iowa’s Twitter account, here’s Hannemann’s homer to right against Memphis
Hammerin' Hannemann 💪 pic.twitter.com/dmlL06rIHb
— Iowa Cubs (@IowaCubs) April 16, 2018