Every game that Iowa loses to Omaha pushes Iowa further into the basement. They had pulled into a near tie with Omaha, but now Omaha has a two game lead over the Cubs (13-27). The Cubs are 13.5 games back of Oklahoma City in the division and still have the worst record in the Pacific Coast League.
The Tennessee Smokies (22-20) had pulled into second in the division had an opportunity to take first with a head-to-head series against division leading Chattanooga last week, but Tennessee lost four of five games in that series. Now the Smokies are back in third, trailing Jackson as well as Chattanooga, and are five and a half out of the lead.
Down in Myrtle Beach, the Pelicans (17-24) still hold the bottom slot in their division (six and a half games back), but they are half a game out of last place in the league.
South Bend (17-23) is not only in danger of losing the title of second best record in the Cubs’ farm system to Myrtle Beach, but they are getting close to being basement dwellers as well. The Cubs have lost four straight and are now ten games back in the division. They lead last place Great Lakes by just four games.
- Adbert Alzolay: 4.1 IP, 4 R, 9 H, 2 BB, 2 K
- Kyle Ryan: 3.2 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 1 K
- Mike Freeman: 2 for 4
- Wynton Bernard: 2 for 3, 2 2B
- Duncan Robinson: 6 IP, 1 R, 5 H, 9 K
- Craig Brooks: 1 IP, 1 K
- Dakota Mekkes: 2 IP, 2 R (0 ER), 2 H, 3 BB, 2 K
- Charcer Burks: 1 for 3, 2 BB
- Jason Vosler: 1 for 3, 2B, BB
- Game Two
- Thomas Hatch: 7 IP, 3 H, 1 BB, 7 K
- Jeffrey Baez: 1 for 2, HR, BB
- Jesse Hodges: 1 for 2, 2B, BB
- Matt Swarmer: 7 IP, 3 R, 6 H, 2 BB, 4 K
- Wyatt Short: 1 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 1 K
- Tyler Peyton: 1 IP, 1 BB, 1 K
- Kevonte Mitchell: 1 for 4, HR
- Connor Myers: 2 for 3
- Cory Abbott: 6 IP, 2 H, 2 BB, 11 K
- Chris Singleton: 2 for 5
- Jhonny Bethencourt: 1 for 4, 2B
- Zach Davis: 1 for 4, SB
- Game One of the Smokies doubleheader featured a grand total of eight walks across the two teams. Six of them came in extra innings (the eighth and ninth, since it was a doubleheader) as, once again, the awful extra inning rule turned a good game of baseball into little more than walks and bunts.
- Yesterday’s steal was number 12 on the season for Zach Davis. He leads South Bend, but is only fourth in the league.
- It was Star Wars night last night in Tennessee, and that means the Smokies were sporting some very nice Darth Vader jerseys. And now, you can too. The Smokies are auctioning off the jerseys to benefit local charities, and the bidding should begin at the MiLB Auctions sight soon:
Don't miss out on the FIRST jersey auction of the year!!!
— Tennessee Smokies (@smokiesbaseball) May 18, 2018