This time next week, we will finally have peak baseball. Short-season Low-A Eugene opens their season next Friday night. They will be at home (which means we get Eugene’s excellent MiLB.tv feed) against Vancouver to start a five game set.
Somewhere in the upcoming week the defending Arizona Rookie League Champion AZL Cubs – you did remember they won the title last year and extended the Cubs’ organization champsionship streak to five straight years, right? – also get started, but the notoriously late Arizona Rookie League has not yet published their schedule.
When Eugene and Arizona fire up, the Minor League Daily will expand to cover all seven teams (there are now two teams in Mesa). Don’t forget that, even though I don’t cover them daily here, the Cubs’ two Dominican Summer League teams are also underway.
- Daury Torrez: 4 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 1 K
- Brad Markey: 2 IP, 1 H, 2 K
- Rob Zastryzny: 2.1 IP, 2 H
- Mike Freeman: 2 for 4
- Efren Navarro: 2 for 4
- Victor Caratini: 2 for 4, 2B
- Jacob Hannemann: 1 for 3, HR
- Matt Swarmer: 4 IP, 4 R (3 ER), 5 H, 1 BB, 3 K
- Zach Hedges: 2 IP, 3 H, 1 BB, 2 K
- Jake Stinnett: 2 IP, 3 H, 5 K
- Trey Martin: 1 for 4, HR, 2 BB
- Yasiel Balaguert: 2 for 4, BB
- Ian Rice: 2 for 4, 2 2B
- Jesse Hodges: 1 for 2, 2B
- Cory Abbott: 6 IP, 3 R, 3 H, 2 BB, 8 K
- Ryan Kellogg: 3 IP, 2 H, 2 BB, 1 K
- Andruw Monasterio: 2 for 5, HR
- Aramis Ademan: 2 for 4, HR
- Jhonny Pereda: 0 for 2, 2 BB, SB
- P.J. Higgins: 2 for 4, 2B
- Tyler Thomas: 4 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 3 K
- Jeffrey Passantino: 3 IP, 1 R, 3 H, 1 BB, 4 K
- Yapson Gomez: 2 IP, 2 K
- Zach Davis: 1 for 4
- Jared Young: 2 for 4, 2B, HR
- Miguel Amaya: 2 for 4
- Michael Cruz: 2 for 4
- Brandon Hughes: 1 for 3, HR
- In case you missed it yesterday, the Minor League Player and Pitcher of the Month for May went to Myrtle Beach catcher Jhonny Pereda and South Bend (now Myrtle Beach) starter Cory Abbott.
- Can anyone name every team that helped extend the Cubs five-year organizational title streak? I gave the answer on Twitter last night, so click here when you’ve listed all you can.
- That was almost a seven-year streak; Boise (the Northwest League affiliate at the time) lost the Championship Series to Vancouver in 2012, and Daytona won the Florida State League in 2011.
- Chattanooga also lost yesterday, so the Smokies lost no ground in the division race. They are now tied with Montgomery two games behind a tie between Chattanooga and Jackson. There are ten games left to go in the first half, and Tennessee has all ten at home.
- A couple of weeks ago I had written off the Pelicans in the first half. They have played extremely well the last three weeks to get back into this position. Thanks to that run, they are now over .500 at 30-29 and trail the division by just two and a half games. They have three teams to climb over to get to the top spot, but they’re not out of it yet.
- Cory Abbott struck out eight in his High-A debut.
- The home run by Brandon Hughes was an inside the park variety, but had the right fielder not been injured on the play I’m not sure Hughes would have gotten past third. Still a homer in the books, though, and it is featured in the highlight reel below. Jared Young’s impressive blast is also featured.