This was the weekend from hell, baseballily-speaking. There was also a lot going on, so I’m obliged to catch you up if you checked out. Just try to ignore the actual baseball games.
Friday, June 22
- Concerns about Kyle Hendricks’ mechanics, and how the Cubs blew the first game of the Reds’ series.
- Willson Contreras may actually need to undo some fly ball revolution stuff.
- The real story behind why Tommy La Stella didn’t report to Iowa two years ago.
- The Cubs are going to go big in international free agency, but there’s a new issue that’s come up in Mexico.
- The Ricketts Family is reportedly interested in buying a big-time soccer club.
- Pitching health updates aplenty.
- Jason Heyward remains very hot at the plate, and at some point we can accept it as “real.”
- Despite a fun bunt-and-a-blast, the Cubs lost to the Reds.
Saturday, June 23
- It was the anniversary of The Sandberg Game.
- The Cubs’ shadow offense, Jose Quintana’s deep struggles the third time through the order, and other Bullets.
- Around the league, the Brewers and Cardinals had a dustup, there was a huge domestic violence suspension, Bryce Harper will do the Home Run Derby, and more.
- The Cubs lost again to the Reds, this time in blowout fashion. At least it featured a crazy Tommy La Stella catch going into the stands.
- During the game, Willson Contreras got into it a bit with the home plate ump, apparently because he was demanding a thank you from Contreras.
Sunday, June 24
- Kris Bryant had to sit a second straight game with a shoulder issue.
- The Cubs made a flurry of roster moves in the bullpen.
- Yu Darvish is set for a rehab start today at South Bend.
- Hopefully Willson Contreras is getting his line drive stroke down.
- The Cubs lost 8-6 to the Reds, but I was unable to do an EBS thanks to a minor medical emergency.
- The Cubs tapped Duane Underwood, Jr. to start tonight against the Dodgers.