Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:18 PM

Let's say Baltimore decides to go for it now, but does not want to completely mortgage their future.

So they call up the Cubs and offer their top ten prospects... all of them... for Garza, Dempster, Castro, and Soriano if the Cubs would eat all of Soriano's contract.

And for the sake of argument, we'll use Mayo's list for the top ten guys.
http://baltimore.ori...id=bal#list=bal

Toronto hears about the offer and makes a call to Theo themselves. In exchange for the exact same package, they offer their top eight prospects.

Again, we'll use Mayo's list.
http://toronto.bluej...id=tor#list=tor

Theo then calls you up and asks for advice. Which package, if either, do you tell him to take?

#2 BFiddy

BFiddy

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Twitter:Bridger_Macau
  • Facebook:Bridger Fetters
  • LocationMacau

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:37 AM

Baltimore's group...3 of their top 4 guys are infielders, which I would rather have than the OF's from Toronto. Plus, Bundy is probably the best pitcher out of either pool...though Toronto gives you a lot more quality arms.

You can't lose either way. Even more complicated if you include 2012 draft picks...thought I'm pretty sure Gausman swings it even farther toward BAL for me. (Love Stroman tho...)
And that's a bad miss...

#3 Dumpgobbler

Dumpgobbler

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:26 AM

Fun idea. I'd go with Toronto, despite my HUGE prospect crush on Bundy, who I think has that "tingle" that Strasburg / Prior had. Bundy I think will be an ace. Toronto may not have one, but I think out of Syndergaard, Sanchez, Norris, Nicolino and Hutchison, you'll get 1 TOR and a couple mid / solid backend guys. My problem with the O's deal is there is nothing after Bundy and Machado. Maybe you like Schoop, but maybe you dont. With Toronto's package you get literally, 8 B+ or more prospects. With O's you get 2 A's, and 8 C's.

#4 chirogerg1

chirogerg1

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:21 AM

I'll take Toronto's. Dumpgobbler's prospect crush on Bundy goes for me on d'Arnaud(I just read Aaron Sanchez's stats and scouting report and same goes for him).
Plus, d'Arnaud and Gose would be soon ready to try to help save a then-completely hapless cubs team and Hutchinson could already be a No. 3 in the NL and would probably be the No. 2 behind Shark.
Syndergaard, Nicolino, and Sanchez must make up a nasty rotation in A ball, btw

Plus, you could maybe use Gose, the center fielder of the future, as leverage to sign Almora to a slot or slightly under slot deal so we could sign Underwood, Blackburn, Bote, and Wiseman more easily. (Ya I know that won't happen)

I would ask for Adeiny Hechavarria instead of one of the pitchers, though, because he is a flat out BOSS.

#5 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,646 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:34 AM

This thought experiment is absolutely awesome.

My answer: neither trade. (But, Toronto if I absolutely had to make a deal.)

#6 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:09 AM

Wait...wait. You want MORE than this?

#7 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:33 AM

I would require a perverse amount to deal Castro. For example, I would not trade him for Bundy and Machado. So, let's say I require the back-end of the top 10 for him, too. Would I then trade Garza, Dempster, and eat all of Soriano's salary for the middle six? No chance. I could do the same dance with the Blue Jays' 8, but it's admittedly closer.

#8 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:35 AM

The answer is actually secret choice #3: Trade Darwin Barney to the Dodgers for Matt Kemp.

#9 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:16 PM

I would require a perverse amount to deal Castro. For example, I would not trade him for Bundy and Machado. So, let's say I require the back-end of the top 10 for him, too. Would I then trade Garza, Dempster, and eat all of Soriano's salary for the middle six? No chance. I could do the same dance with the Blue Jays' 8, but it's admittedly closer.

Wow. I'd do Castro for Bundy and Machado like...yesterday.

#10 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:59 PM

Many people would. I wouldn't criticize them. I just couldn't do it.

#11 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:12 PM

Many people would. I wouldn't criticize them. I just couldn't do it.

Would you do Junior Lake for Machado and Bundy? (somewhere @KevinGoldstein would be spitting milk with laughter)

#12 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:31 PM

Would you do Junior Lake for Machado and Bundy? (somewhere @KevinGoldstein would be spitting milk with laughter)

I wasn't drinking milk, but that one cracked me up.

If Theo turned down a deal that lopsided, I might have to head to Chicago to lead the protests personally.

On the other hand, if Baltimore took that deal I might have to hide in a bunker somewhere until the angry mobs got off the streets.

#13 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:07 PM

If the name of the game here is crazy trades, how's about: Soriano along with 95% of his remaining salary, Dempster, Marmol, and Baker to Detroit for Porcello, 1 of Crosby, Smyly, or Oliver, Bosch, and a few low level high ceiling prospects. Even in crazy trade land, I wouldn't expect Castallanos or Turner without giving up Garza.

#14 DaneHuseman

DaneHuseman

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Twitter:dhuseman

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:17 AM

If I am choosing between those two packages, I would go Toronto simply for the depth. Even if you don't plan on keeping all of them, you would then have plenty to offer in a trade for someone you really want.

I am still holding out hope that we can find some way to end up with Archie Bradley once the trade deadline passes. I think he will be one of the top 5 pitchers in 2017. He is a stud. I just don't know what we have (other than Castro) that Arizona would want. They have pitching at the Major League level and Bauer and Skaggs waiting in the wings.

#15 ced landrum

ced landrum

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:32 AM

Well you take Torontos no questions asked if that is the deal. They have the 2nd ranked system where as Baltimore is only a spot or two better then the Cubs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).