Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:31 AM

We are all waiting for the point in the season when we will be able to see the kids brought up from the minors and get some regular playing time with the big club. However, I am now wondering if that is the best approach. Looking at the draft in 2013, would they actually win more games (read lower draft pick) with the kids than with the players currently on the 25 man?

Looking at the positions
Rizzo > LaHare
? ~/>/< Barney (Cardenas sure isn't getting any pt)
Castro = Castro
Vitters =/> Stewart
Clevenger > Soto (as they sit now)
LaHare > Soriano
Jackson > Campy
Szczur < DeJesus (DeJesus might be gone by then)
I forgot to put Lake in there somewhere

As I see it the kids are right there or a little better than the vets (with some movement of LaHare). Am I way off base here?

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#2 FarmerTanColin

FarmerTanColin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Twitter:@colin_benson
  • LocationAmes IA

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:10 AM

I don't think a simple interpretation is appropriate when you factor in guys that haven't played in the majors yet. Yet there's not a lot to disagree with except Szczur is pretty far down the list right now I see Sappelt and Ha above him right now.

Vitters I think needs a whole season at Iowa to hopefully just demolish the pitching otherwise I dont think his bat is greater than Stewarts glove to offset any difference.

#3 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:40 AM

I don't think a simple interpretation is appropriate when you factor in guys that haven't played in the majors yet. Yet there's not a lot to disagree with except Szczur is pretty far down the list right now I see Sappelt and Ha above him right now.

Vitters I think needs a whole season at Iowa to hopefully just demolish the pitching otherwise I dont think his bat is greater than Stewarts glove to offset any difference.

I placed Sczur in there just because he's on the 40 man (and ranked as less than DeJesus). Stewarts glove is why I ranked Vitters as =>.

I agree that there will be an adjustment period, but it's not like the Cubs are tearing it up right now.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#4 FarmerTanColin

FarmerTanColin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Twitter:@colin_benson
  • LocationAmes IA

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:20 PM

Yeah exactly why there's not much to disagree with. I'm trying to kinda give another point but its not working cause I'd rather see those guys in the majors too.

#5 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:30 PM

Actually my question is do we want them up? Because, if they come up our record might actually improve and we won't have as good of a draft pick next year.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#6 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:43 PM

The whole idea of "trying" for the number #1 pick goes against every woody fiber of my being. You try to win as many games as you can.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#7 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:55 PM

The whole idea of &quot;trying&quot; for the number #1 pick goes against every woody fiber of my being. You try to win as many games as you can.

I mostly agree withis, but maybe just with the current roster plus/minus any trades.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#8 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:01 PM

The whole idea of "trying" for the number #1 pick goes against every woody fiber of my being. You try to win as many games as you can.

Always. Anyone that desires anything else is a fool.

(I know you're not advocating losing on purpose, Tim.)

#9 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:12 PM

No, not necessarily losing on purpose. Just not playing some of the younger kids. I am advocating putting the same lineup out there that we have been all along (plus Rizzo). Unless it will harm the youngsters development.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#10 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:16 PM

I do recognize that there is a difference between trying to lose on purpose and management (the front office, mostly) not making a concerted effort to put pieces in place to win.

#11 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:57 PM

Another side of it. It's pretty sad that the team could be better by trading out for a few Minor League players. Does anyone disagree with the upgrades I listed?

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#12 rcleven

rcleven

Bleacher Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:58 PM

There is only one Mlb ready player in the system and that be Rizzo. The rest of the AAA's would be better off playing every day at their current levels. September roster expansion is the time to start working some of the more higher prospects into the parent club
By bringing up younger players up before the roster expansion you are also using an option on that player if he has to waived and returned to a MILB club.

#13 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:01 PM

There is only one Mlb ready player in the system and that be Rizzo. The rest of the AAA's would be better off playing every day at their current levels. September roster expansion is the time to start working some of the more higher prospects into the parent club
By bringing up younger players up before the roster expansion you are also using an option on that player if he has to waived and returned to a MILB club.

Though not expressed September is when I was thinking of (mostly).

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#14 sven-erik312

sven-erik312

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:26 AM

Even Rizzo should stay down there. If he comes up, they will just pitch around him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).