#1 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:21 PM

Pretty much all season, I've pushed this proposal on anyone who would listen, and many who refused to.

Anyway, its Bryan LaHair to Oakland for Michael Taylor. Why? First off, Oakland is loaded with potential 1st Basemen: Barton, Kila, Carter, and formerly Allen. All have been awful. They have nice bats in the Oufield, but nowhere else. Taylor has been doing great in AAA(.300s BA, .903 OPS) and he's only 25-26. With Cespedes, Reddick, Crisp, and Smith, he's pretty well blocked. No question that we could use an outfielder. Sorianos had a great season, but even if he keeps it up the rest of the year, he'll be 37 next season so he's on borrowed time.

For us, obviously, we have Rizzo ready to debut later this month. LaHair's been great, and I'm finnally thinkinng that he could be more than Fox or Hoffpauir and have some sustained sucess, if nothing else as a righty killer. Obviously, there's the thought of moving him to LF, but most of the experts waste no time lining up to piss all over that idea. Also, if the organization took the idea seriously, he'd have logged more innings out there by now.

Seems like a great trade that benefits both sides. And let's face it, Theo's a sucker for those former top prospects who are still young enough to still pan out.

#2 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:53 PM

Pretty much all season, I've pushed this proposal on anyone who would listen, and many who refused to.

Anyway, its Bryan LaHair to Oakland for Michael Taylor. Why? First off, Oakland is loaded with potential 1st Basemen: Barton, Kila, Carter, and formerly Allen. All have been awful. They have nice bats in the Oufield, but nowhere else. Taylor has been doing great in AAA(.300s BA, .903 OPS) and he's only 25-26. With Cespedes, Reddick, Crisp, and Smith, he's pretty well blocked. No question that we could use an outfielder. Sorianos had a great season, but even if he keeps it up the rest of the year, he'll be 37 next season so he's on borrowed time.

For us, obviously, we have Rizzo ready to debut later this month. LaHair's been great, and I'm finnally thinkinng that he could be more than Fox or Hoffpauir and have some sustained sucess, if nothing else as a righty killer. Obviously, there's the thought of moving him to LF, but most of the experts waste no time lining up to piss all over that idea. Also, if the organization took the idea seriously, he'd have logged more innings out there by now.

Seems like a great trade that benefits both sides. And let's face it, Theo's a sucker for those former top prospects who are still young enough to still pan out.

This isn't a horrible idea, but they have no need to deal LaHair unless they're blown away by an offer. He's under control for a while at the minimum and there's absolutely no reason Rizzo needs to come up at ALL this year if they don't want him to.

Considering how cheap LaHair's contract is, I imagine he'd be worth a bit more than this offer if he keeps hitting into July.

#3 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:36 PM

Not a bad trade. I would much rather deal LaHair for a pitcher, but a decent outfielder could work.

#4 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:56 AM

I fully understand the price and lack of urgency to move him, but he's likely at his peak value now. I do think he can have some degree of sucess, but I thought the same about Jake Fox and Micah Hoffpauir, at least that they could be at least Jack Cust or Russ Branyan types. LaHair looks better at the plate than either of them ever did. This being said, if you look at players that had a breakout season in their late 20's: Ryan Ludwick, Casey McGehee, Garrett Jones. Each of them had a good season or 2 and then fell off a cliff. The only guy I can think of in recent years who had a long, productive career after a late breakout is Melvin Mora, and I believe he may have been implicated in some sort of PED.

I'd like to see if LaHair can be serviceable in LF, but like I said, knowing that Rizzo isn't too far away, if the powers that be thought it was an option they'd have played him there more by now. In he AL parks and Soriano DHng this would be the perfect opportunity. Even then, our projected OF would be LaHair, Jackson, and DeJesus, all lefties. LaHair can't hit lefties to save his life, though Jackson has hit them better than righties this year.

Bottom line is, as good as LaHair could be and as cheap as he is, he'd be a bench bat for us in the long term, and if we could someone like Taylor, who still has 5 tool potential it might be the best we can do. It Remember, we're trying to build a team that will be able to copete long term. Taylor's far from a sure thing but has a chance to fill a spot we need filled. LaHair does not. Even if he were to prove serviceable Elstein, Hoyer, and Sveum all havily focus on defense. Unlike Castro, LaHair isnt a 22 year old shhiowing flashes that he could be great defensively but still learning.

#5 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:38 AM

I fully understand the price and lack of urgency to move him, but he's likely at his peak value now. I do think he can have some degree of sucess, but I thought the same about Jake Fox and Micah Hoffpauir, at least that they could be at least Jack Cust or Russ Branyan types. LaHair looks better at the plate than either of them ever did. This being said, if you look at players that had a breakout season in their late 20's: Ryan Ludwick, Casey McGehee, Garrett Jones. Each of them had a good season or 2 and then fell off a cliff. The only guy I can think of in recent years who had a long, productive career after a late breakout is Melvin Mora, and I believe he may have been implicated in some sort of PED.

I'd like to see if LaHair can be serviceable in LF, but like I said, knowing that Rizzo isn't too far away, if the powers that be thought it was an option they'd have played him there more by now. In he AL parks and Soriano DHng this would be the perfect opportunity. Even then, our projected OF would be LaHair, Jackson, and DeJesus, all lefties. LaHair can't hit lefties to save his life, though Jackson has hit them better than righties this year.

Bottom line is, as good as LaHair could be and as cheap as he is, he'd be a bench bat for us in the long term, and if we could someone like Taylor, who still has 5 tool potential it might be the best we can do. It Remember, we're trying to build a team that will be able to copete long term. Taylor's far from a sure thing but has a chance to fill a spot we need filled. LaHair does not. Even if he were to prove serviceable Elstein, Hoyer, and Sveum all havily focus on defense. Unlike Castro, LaHair isnt a 22 year old shhiowing flashes that he could be great defensively but still learning.

The major difference is that LaHair has drastically changed his offensive approach over the past 2-3 years vs. before that. Kevin Goldstein has written about this. LaHair is more likely a .280/.350/.500+ guy than he isn't. There are plenty of teams, especially in the AL, who should want a guy like that.

I agree with you about peak value, I just think peak value is a bit more than a 26 year old 4th OF. Which is what Taylor's ceiling is now. He's only three years younger than LaHair...Jedstein can (and will) do better if they desire.

#6 Dumpgobbler

Dumpgobbler

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:38 AM

I dont think anyone will be right/wrong on this topic. It all depends on how legit you really think Lahair is. If you think he'll crash and burn, deal him soon because his value will never be higher. Its hard the gauge how much of an offer you could get for him, but I'd imagine the Cubs would market him and a low cost middle of the order bat.

If you think hes the real deal, move him to LF and let him sit out there for a bit.

One thing I am certain of. He should in no way shape or form be in Rizzo's way.

#7 Brady

Brady

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:01 AM

I think we abuse him for the cheap power he is and stick him in LF when we bring Rizzo up (a nice saftey valve in case Rizzo decides to be a flop).

#8 rcleven

rcleven

Bleacher Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:02 AM

This is kind of off track so here we go Rizzo is not proven in the MLB. He has failed at the Mlb level once before. Not saying he will fail but you have to have some kind of plan B if he doesn't carry his numbers over. Two left handed hitting first basemen is not ideal tho.
The proposed move is not a bad choice. If a deal is made for LaHair it should made over the winter when there known what Rizzo can really do at the MLB level.

#9 JCubs79

JCubs79

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Twitter:clarkj79
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:55 AM

I actually like this idea quite a bit. Michael Taylor is a pretty good OF and is still young. He could potentially be a 4th OF if he were to become part of the long term plan. I would however like to get a AA arm with him as well. I think we could get a little more then Taylor for LaHair but if Taylor were included as part of the deal then that would be a very good move.

#10 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:55 PM

I dont think anyone will be right/wrong on this topic. It all depends on how legit you really think Lahair is. If you think he'll crash and burn, deal him soon because his value will never be higher. Its hard the gauge how much of an offer you could get for him, but I'd imagine the Cubs would market him and a low cost middle of the order bat.

If you think hes the real deal, move him to LF and let him sit out there for a bit.

One thing I am certain of. He should in no way shape or form be in Rizzo's way.

I dont get the impression thay he'll crash and burn as I once did think that as a full timer, he could be a .250s-.270s BA guy with a mid-high OPS. However, we simply have nowhere to play him. A lefty power bat off the bench is never a bad thing to have, but if he can't play OF, he'll be limited to just that aside from the few games a year at AL parks. Even then, if another team want to give us something more useful then we have to do it. Unless of course, Rizzo flops, which I'd just as soon not consider a possibility. But hey, many more highly touted prospects have. We have one of them manning 3rd base as we speak.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).