8 replies to this topic

#1 Hector Villanueva

Hector Villanueva

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:34 PM

To the Reds for SS/2B Billy Hamilton and LHRP Donnie Joseph. Hamilton could be answer to lead off and 2B question. Joseph could be immediate contributor to bullpen. 1 and 7 prospects respectively in Reds system.

#2 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:41 PM

Pass.

I think the Cubs have better arms than Joseph on the farm right now. Even if he went straight to the majors I think he'd be pushed out of the bullpen in a year or two. Hamilton is a nice prospect, but I'm not convinced he can stay at second yet. He'd probably be alright in center field if he has to move, but that lessens his value to the Cubs somewhat.

#3 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:45 PM

The Cubs aren't getting anyone's #1 prospect for Dempster. Remember, he has zero value beyond this year because of the changes in the CBA.

A B+ prospect and something lesser is what I'm betting they snag for him.

#4 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:33 PM

I think Crockett is right...you wont't get any top prospects for Dempster...then if I am not mistaken, with the new CBA only the Cubs can get draft pick compensation if they offer him a deal after the season...so what would you rather have?

A mid range prospect or two...a draft pick...or Demp back for 2013...I know it was Hendry but look what we got when we traded Lilly

Also keep in mind that we pretty much have zero starters ready to step in

#5 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:40 AM

I think Crockett is right...you wont't get any top prospects for Dempster...then if I am not mistaken, with the new CBA only the Cubs can get draft pick compensation if they offer him a deal after the season...so what would you rather have?

A mid range prospect or two...a draft pick...or Demp back for 2013...I know it was Hendry but look what we got when we traded Lilly

Also keep in mind that we pretty much have zero starters ready to step in

You have to make him a qualifying offer...which is 12m+ I believe. Yuck.

#6 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:43 AM

The thing about the two extra Wild Card spots is that some don't realize how much value they will add to having that 1 more front end starting pitcher. Not only will it make those fringe contenders that once would not have tried to make any big acquisitions do so, but with the 1 game playoff between 2 WCs, obviously each team will bring their ace. As a result, the winners top pitcher likely wont be ready again until around game 3 of rhe LDCS, so it's going to throw off the pitching rotations. This is reason alone for contending teams with questionable pitching in the middle of their rotations to go hard after an option. Just looking at possible sellers, available options could be Greinke, Marcum, McCarthy, and possibly, but I wouldn't bet on it Hamels. Any of those guys would require huge hauls just for 2-3 months of their service, so they could inquire on Dempster first. Even if we could get, say 1 guy from the middle or back of someones top 10 as well as 1-2 intriguing lower level prospects it would be more valuable than the comp pick. Also, depending on the other teams needs perhaps we could kick in something like Baker, Johnson, Mather, or Camp to try to slightly maximize the return. None of those guys would bring more than a PTBNL on their own, but teams always seem to be on the lookout for veteran role players at the deadline, so they could be very attractive as toss ins.

#7 Brady

Brady

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:02 AM

I still say we trade him away, and then bring him back next season (if he keeps up this performance all year long).

#8 Dumpgobbler

Dumpgobbler

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:11 AM

Before last years deadline I'd say there is no chance we get a team best prospect for a rental. But then Beltran for Wheeler happened.. I just dont know anymore.

#9 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:32 AM

@Rotoworld_BB: Morrow's oblique injury called 'substantial' http://t.co/DjVeh87J

A contender in baseballs toughest division loses it's best pitcher huh. Anyone else smell opportunity?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).