#1 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:55 PM

Six Mariners combined to throw a no hitter tonight. Pretty neat. It begs the question....which is harder/more impressive, and why:

One pitcher throwing a CG no hitter

OR

3+ pitchers combining to throw a no hitter

#2 Dave

Dave

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:14 AM

I'd say the CG is more impressive, because that one pitcher has to make adjustments, the opposing lineup is going to see him 3 times, he needs to keep them off balance. Using multiple pitchers seems a little easier, if you're only out there for an inning or two you can throw your best stuff and not have to worry about the next at-bat for any particular hitter.

That said, both are impressive, especially when teams with strong offenses(Cards, Dodgers) are the ones being no-hit.

#3 Brady

Brady

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:00 AM

My mother lives in Seattle and tried to gloat about this today, of which I had 2 things. First was pretty much everything Dave said. 2nd was that a blown call by the umpire in the 9th kept it a No-Hitter, I was watching highlights and as an umpire myself (though of Little/Babe Ruth Leagues and High School ball) I was shocked the umpire missed that call. He was safe by a good half a stride to a stride. Ohwell I have kinda lost my love for perfect games and no-hitters after whats his nuts from the White Sux did it earlier this year (against SEA ironically)[may not be irony but whatever, you get my point] and then has been pretty awful since. Maybe it was just me but it felt like perfect games used to be accomplished by the games greats, not no-name randomness.

#4 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:22 AM

There has always been a few random no-names pitching no-hitters and perfect games.

In fact, arguably the most famous perfect game of them all was pitched by a fairly random no-name. Check out Don Larson's career stats.
http://www.baseball-...larsedo01.shtml

He had a couple really good seasons, but in general Larson was not all that special. He is also the only guy ever to pitch perfection in the World Series. That's just how baseball happens.

#5 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

Bud Smith made only 24 starts in the majors for the Cardinals with a 7-8 record and 4.95 ERA. One of those starts happened to be a no-hitter. He was dealt as a part of the Scott Rolen deal, never played a game in the majors for the Phillies, and out of baseball by 27

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).