MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:35 AM

So I officially accepted a position to teach incarcerated youth, expelled students, and other troubled youth. I'm excited since I'm fairly good with troubled students but a new organization is always a nervous time. But the pay and stability of this job is better than a typical public education setting; however, the heartache, frustration, and general "what the fuck did I get myself into" will likely increase.

Hopefully that will allow my BN presence to increase since I will need time to clear my head after a hectic day- that and there is always glorious, glorious BEER.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#2 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:37 AM

Hopefully that will allow my BN presence to increase since I will need time to clear my head after a hectic day...

Do we have a say in this?

#3 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:41 AM

Hopefully that will allow my BN presence to increase since I will need time to clear my head after a hectic day...

Do we have a say in this?

:lol: :lol: :lol: wait :angry: :angry: :angry: um :P :P :P

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#4 Drew

Drew

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Twitter:@Drew7
  • LocationUrbana, IL

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:54 AM

Charity should begin at home. Since we seem to have one of those troubled youths you work with, would you mind finishing the "Making BN great with less Better" campaign first?

#5 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:00 AM

Dude MG, the school I teach at is only 15-20 percent low income, with 10-15 percent rich kids, and the rest middle to upper middle and it kicks my ass every year...actually the parents are the worst part, maybe you won't have much of that in your new job, especially if said incarcerated student killed them(sorry...dark humor)...God Bless and good luck, the last week(first week of summer) has been awesome for me...couldn't do it without the break...between the ass kicking I take from coaching, the lack of adminstrative leadership and crazy parents the end of May is combustible....

#6 CubChymyst

CubChymyst

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationManhattan, Kansas

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:53 PM

Best of luck in your new position

#7 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:53 AM

Dude MG, the school I teach at is only 15-20 percent low income, with 10-15 percent rich kids, and the rest middle to upper middle and it kicks my ass every year...actually the parents are the worst part, maybe you won't have much of that in your new job, especially if said incarcerated student killed them(sorry...dark humor)...God Bless and good luck, the last week(first week of summer) has been awesome for me...couldn't do it without the break...between the ass kicking I take from coaching, the lack of adminstrative leadership and crazy parents the end of May is combustible....

I taught at a school like yours for a year and hated it, so much entitlement and parents never believe their kid is misbehaving or not turning in work. I just can't stand the "my shit don't stink" families. My last few jobs I've loved and I think I've had about 15 families above the poverty line. I love working with students the system expects to fail because when they succeed it is so sweet. My only frustration is how we expect everyone to be at the same level educationally and then punish schools that don't. My students don't have the same opportunities as most students yet I get in trouble when a 10th grader that lives in a car or shelter can't perform at the same level as richy rich. That the biggest benefit of this new job we are not responsible for NCLB (the dumbest fucking legislation EVER).

Yeah so basically teacher is fucking hard and few people understand that or could do it. Keep it up, nice to know I'm not the only teacher that feels his ass getting kicked each year.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#8 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:24 AM

MG, good luck with the new position. Teaching is tough. My sister teaches kids with disabilities including teaching sign language. It is a very undervalued profession in today's society.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#9 butlerdawgs

butlerdawgs

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:mwerner1814

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:39 AM

Ditto all the other comments. The fiancee is a teacher in a low-income district teaching kids with special needs. No way could I do that. Mad props to you MG and good luck!

#10 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:33 AM

Next week I got to a police academy and learn "therapeutic holds and takedowns" and a couple of classes in how deal with aggressive individuals. I'm going to be a teacher ninja!

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#11 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:09 PM

Next week I got to a police academy and learn "therapeutic holds and takedowns" and a couple of classes in how deal with aggressive individuals. I'm going to be a teacher ninja!

Thumbs to eyes always works. Of course, so does running and crying for help.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).