Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

Photo

STOP THE INSANITY! CASTRO WILL NOT BE TRADED...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:09 PM

After watching the Kings finish off the Devils I flipped over to the MLB network, and they were discussing the Cubs trading Castro. Enough of this! Of course no one is untradeable( sure if the Nationals offered Harper and Strausburg you would probably have to jump at that one)...but unless the Theotles have suddenly gotten really,really stupid...Castro is going nowhere. With a couple of comps, and some wise, rational thinking, let me disspell a couple of myths:

1. CASTRO IS NOT A SHORTSTOP- Way, way too early to tell. He made 27 errors at age 20, and 29 at age 21. Robin Yount(HOF) made 31 and 26 at the same ages respectively. Hanley Ramirez and Barry Larkin didn't make any errors at those ages in the majors...because they weren't there yet. True, he may never win a gold glove, and he may eventually move positions, but that's what happens with many offensive shortstops. You want a SS to field .993?...there are plenty of them in the minors, they just won't hit over .200 at the major league level.

2. HE DOESN'T HIT FOR POWER- Last year at age 21 he hit 10 HRs with 66 RBIs...same age Yount hit 4 with 49...and once again at 21-Larkin and Ramirez were not in the majors. Cal Ripken did hit 28 HRs with 93 RBIs as a 21 year old splitting his time between SS and 3B(19 errors)...but he didn't run as well as Castro does.( and he was, you know Cal F$%ING Ripken!) A-Rod was a freak at 21 but....ah...well, you know.

3. HE'S NOT A FRANCHISE PLAYER- He might not be...but I would be willing to wager, he is at least going to be a very, very good MLB player. 207 hits at age 21? That doesn't happen often. Now I admit that I just randomly chose Yount, Larkin, Ramirez, and Ripken off of the top of my head...but I would call them FRANCHISE players, and our boy matches up.

Sorry, I know I may be "preaching to the choir" to some of you...but this is such a non-story. This is tabloid sports reporting at its best..."No one is untouchable", or "we will listen on anyone" gets turned into "The Cubs are shopping Castro". No flipping way.

#2 santofan10

santofan10

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:27 PM

After watching the Kings finish off the Devils I flipped over to the MLB network, and they were discussing the Cubs trading Castro. Enough of this! Of course no one is untradeable( sure if the Nationals offered Harper and Strausburg you would probably have to jump at that one)...but unless the Theotles have suddenly gotten really,really stupid...Castro is going nowhere. With a couple of comps, and some wise, rational thinking, let me disspell a couple of myths:

1. CASTRO IS NOT A SHORTSTOP- Way, way too early to tell. He made 27 errors at age 20, and 29 at age 21. Robin Yount(HOF) made 31 and 26 at the same ages respectively. Hanley Ramirez and Barry Larkin didn't make any errors at those ages in the majors...because they weren't there yet. True, he may never win a gold glove, and he may eventually move positions, but that's what happens with many offensive shortstops. You want a SS to field .993?...there are plenty of them in the minors, they just won't hit over .200 at the major league level.

2. HE DOESN'T HIT FOR POWER- Last year at age 21 he hit 10 HRs with 66 RBIs...same age Yount hit 4 with 49...and once again at 21-Larkin and Ramirez were not in the majors. Cal Ripken did hit 28 HRs with 93 RBIs as a 21 year old splitting his time between SS and 3B(19 errors)...but he didn't run as well as Castro does.( and he was, you know Cal F$%ING Ripken!) A-Rod was a freak at 21 but....ah...well, you know.

3. HE'S NOT A FRANCHISE PLAYER- He might not be...but I would be willing to wager, he is at least going to be a very, very good MLB player. 207 hits at age 21? That doesn't happen often. Now I admit that I just randomly chose Yount, Larkin, Ramirez, and Ripken off of the top of my head...but I would call them FRANCHISE players, and our boy matches up.

Sorry, I know I may be "preaching to the choir" to some of you...but this is such a non-story. This is tabloid sports reporting at its best..."No one is untouchable", or "we will listen on anyone" gets turned into "The Cubs are shopping Castro". No flipping way.

A package of Castro and $oriano nets.............................

Would you do it???

#3 CubChymyst

CubChymyst

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationManhattan, Kansas

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:22 PM

I agree you don't trade a shortstop with his range and his bat. Any package you get for Castro is going to consist of players about his age who are not in the MLB yet. The only consideration for trading Castro is if an all-star pitcher is part of the package.

#4 Hector Villanueva

Hector Villanueva

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:42 PM

A package of Castro and $oriano nets.............................

Would you do it???

No. He is a player to build around, not trade. Chances are slim you get equal or better value in return. He has frightening potential and the Cubs just don't produce that kind of player very often if ever. The small issues he has had are just that, minor bumps all players go through. Roberto Alomar had 28 errors as a 2B In his second season.

Starlin is not going anywhere. He is on pace for 300/15/75... he should eventually hit 315/25/100 with a batting title mixed in. The way I see it he is one of 3 players on 25 man roster who is off limits. Shark and Russel the other two.

#5 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:46 PM

A package of Castro and Soriano nets.............................

Would you do it???

Fuck no.

Why the shit would you trade your best player in order to get salary relief?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).