Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:45 PM

...the Cubs acquired Rick Sutcliffe. I was actually at the game the day of the trade...heard about it on the radio on the way home...Sut preceeded to go 16-1 for the Cubs the rest of the summer.....

Ahhhh...1984...many people don't know we were supposed to have 3 home gamesin the NLCS, but due to the lights we had to give one up to the Padres..then the 7 game series comes in just a few years later...

as far as heartbreaks go 1984 is way worse than 1969...yet 69 still gets all the attention...that was the year man....best Cub team I have ever seen...

#2 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:57 AM

I believe the 7 game CS began in '85. I recall being furious as I read about the change in SI.

#3 Robbo

Robbo

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:56 AM

I have heard the same about the home field determined due to lack of lights at Wrigley but I was 4 years old at the time and have zero memory of any of it.

Wikipedia offers a different reason why the Padres got home field so I'd be curious to know which version is accurate and what the prevailing opinion was of Cub fans at the time when it was announced that the Padres with their inferior record were getting 3 home games and Cubs only 2. Were people pissed about that at the time?
Below is from wikipedia (not sure if its accurate or not)...

A myth is that the Cubs were deprived of home-field advantage for the 1984 National League Championship Series (NLCS) because they could not host night games.
However, from 1969–1984, the LCS were five-game series played in a 2-3 format. The NL West and AL East champs hosted the first two games in odd years and the NL East and the AL West hosted the first two games in even years, including the Cubs in 1984. Thus, no changes were made to the NLCS schedule due to Wrigley Field's lack of lights.[17]
It is true that Major League Baseball announced in August 1984 that if the Cubs were to make the World Series, the first game would be moved to the American League park, to maximize the television revenues from night games. In 1984, the series was to be a seven-game series in a 2-3-2 format with the NL hosting the first two and last two games. Thus, if the Cubs had beaten the Padres in 1984, theywould have been "cheated". [18]

#4 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:09 AM

...the Cubs acquired Rick Sutcliffe. I was actually at the game the day of the trade...heard about it on the radio on the way home...Sut preceeded to go 16-1 for the Cubs the rest of the summer.....

Ahhhh...1984...many people don't know we were supposed to have 3 home gamesin the NLCS, but due to the lights we had to give one up to the Padres..then the 7 game series comes in just a few years later...

as far as heartbreaks go 1984 is way worse than 1969...yet 69 still gets all the attention...that was the year man....best Cub team I have ever seen...

There was absolutely no quit in that team. I remember watching them as a little kid and they would be down in the 8th or 9th and it seemed as if they would always come back. As a kid I was always surprised when they didn't make a comeback.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#5 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:20 AM

I have heard the same about the home field determined due to lack of lights at Wrigley but I was 4 years old at the time and have zero memory of any of it.

Wikipedia offers a different reason why the Padres got home field so I'd be curious to know which version is accurate and what the prevailing opinion was of Cub fans at the time when it was announced that the Padres with their inferior record were getting 3 home games and Cubs only 2. Were people pissed about that at the time?
Below is from wikipedia (not sure if its accurate or not)...

A myth is that the Cubs were deprived of home-field advantage for the 1984 National League Championship Series (NLCS) because they could not host night games.
However, from 1969–1984, the LCS were five-game series played in a 2-3 format. The NL West and AL East champs hosted the first two games in odd years and the NL East and the AL West hosted the first two games in even years, including the Cubs in 1984. Thus, no changes were made to the NLCS schedule due to Wrigley Field's lack of lights.[17]
It is true that Major League Baseball announced in August 1984 that if the Cubs were to make the World Series, the first game would be moved to the American League park, to maximize the television revenues from night games. In 1984, the series was to be a seven-game series in a 2-3-2 format with the NL hosting the first two and last two games. Thus, if the Cubs had beaten the Padres in 1984, theywould have been "cheated". [18]

So I checked it out, Robbo. I went to http://www.baseball-...com/postseason/ and checked every CS that went all 5 games from 69 - 84 and they all follow the pattern described. It's so hard to change what we have believed for years. I still hate Pete U. In fact, My conspiracy prone mind is allowing me to think that somehow he made them blow the series. Bastard.

#6 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:29 AM

I must have been thinking of the World Series thing....

it's called confabulation...you remember it, even though it's wrong...in your mind you remember it as fact...

I will now hang the shame curtains in my front window....

#7 Robbo

Robbo

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

I kinda like the version of the story that Cubs got screwed because of the lack of lights. It makes for a better story so I say we stick with that version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).