5 replies to this topic

#1 Cubs Dude

Cubs Dude

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:24 AM

Often this year I find myself wondering why certain things are done. No doubt Sveum has a very tough job, but really how much power does he have over the lineup and other key decisions? Most managers just manage the day to day and could care less about players trade value, or what the team will look like 3 years from now. So my question is how much power does Sveum have? Was he the one that wanted to put Marmol back in the 9th? Is he the one that sits LaHair against lefties (I know LaHair sucks against lefties) when Jeff Baker is terrible.
I really don't get why sitting LaHair against lefties will help his trade value (other teams can see this too), but that's a whole other discussion.
I feel for Sveum if he is put in a position to do things that he feels ultimately makes the team worse this year. He's probably not going to be around to see the Cubs success if they are the worse team in baseball 2 years in a row, right? Thats just how professional sports works.

How much is pushed on him from the guys upstairs? Anyone have a guess?

#2 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:21 AM

No one's going to know for sure, but I am quite confident that he gets regular input from the men upstairs, and some of that input is designed to maximize trade value, for example, rather than to win a particular game.

There were stories of Terry Francona receiving notes from the front office with batting orders on them. I'm not saying it's that extreme, but I'm certain Theo/Jed have input on the things you're discussing (and more).

#3 Cubs Dude

Cubs Dude

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:17 AM

That's kind of what I was thinking too Brett. I really do like that the front office is taking the bigger picture approach, but at the same time feel for Sveum too. It's got too be very difficult at times for him.

#4 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:36 AM

I hope that the FO is putting the pressure on Sveum to return Marmol to his closing job, in an effort to trade him. Alternatively, I'd sure hate to think that Sveum now feels that Marmol is "fixed" and is a good choice to close.

#5 packman711

packman711

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:31 PM

If that's all true (and I'm fairly convinced it is), is that all bad? If you were "Thed" wouldn't you want to have your finger on the pulse with a first year manager like Dale?

#6 Cubs Dude

Cubs Dude

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:00 PM

If that's all true (and I'm fairly convinced it is), is that all bad? If you were "Thed" wouldn't you want to have your finger on the pulse with a first year manager like Dale?

I don't think it's bad at all. I was just suggesting that it has to suck for Sveum because Thed could care less about this years record, in fact I think they may want to be really bad for drafting purposes. Managers are judged on wins. 5 years from now Sveum may be looking for another job, and who would wants to hire a guy with a 30% winning record, regardless of cricumstances? Just a thought..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).