#1 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:49 AM

Arrggh... Just when we all thought that a deal for Dempster was lurking around the corner; a deal that would be rich in prospects, we hear that he has "tighness in his lat muscle".

I was driving home from work when I heard it, and was definitely caught off-guard by that news. The timing couldn't be worse, as I think most of the teams looking at him were wanting him sooner, rather than later. Additionally, it has to negatively affect the other team's perspective, and most likely reduce his value in their eyes. On top of that, he was slated to start against the dreaded White Sox and now THAT isn't going to happen.

At this point, I'm hearing that there is no timetable for his return from the DL, which in my thinking probably means that he will miss at least two or three starts.

Lady Luck sure apparently doesn't take kindly to the north siders.

#2 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:51 AM

I highly doubt that it will have a huge effect on his trade value so much as the timing of the trade. There were rumors just the other day that he could be traded to the Dodgers or Red Sox in the next 10-14 days, which now isn't likely, thought not impossible now.

Remember, dempster is 35 and a rent-a-payer so I don't know how rich in prospects the return would be. My guess is 1 guy from some teams top 10 and maybe 1 more from their top 25-30.
He said that he's feeling better but would have been likely to miss 2 starts, so he'll probably be on th DL for the minimum. I see him back in early July, at which point they could either move him at that time or just give it until the deadline at the end of the month.

If any other team is desperate for a starter, perhaps we could interest them in Maholm, who's been a respectable back end guy. It's not like their are a tone of guys available at this time.

It is a shame, with Starting Pitchers dropping like flies around the league. Just yeasterday, the White Sox and Braves announced that Danks and Beachy would be out longer than they thought, with Beachly possibly headed for TJS.

#3 Cubs Dude

Cubs Dude

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:45 AM

I could be wrong, but I really think he's been traded already and using the 15 days to move and settle his family. He probably asked for it in order to waive his NTC. The whole thing seems way to fishy..

#4 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:05 PM

I could be wrong, but I really think he's been traded already and using the 15 days to move and settle his family. He probably asked for it in order to waive his NTC. The whole thing seems way to fishy..

Ahhh ... another conspiracy theory... but I like this one. Even though there's a lot of denying going on, and what Brett posted on the main board points to it NOT being some nefarious plot, it DOES sound plausible. What I keep coming back to is, why did this seemingly come from left field (errr... bad metaphor)... there was not even a HINT that there was some sort of issue with Dempster until he was already being DLed. Usually, we will hear that he has some tightness (or whatever), which is being looked at and testing being done, before any decisions are being made. And the phrase the Dempster keeps using - that he knows his body well ... that appears to be true, so he should've known about this issue on the 5th and rested it, rather than playing through the pain. Heck, to my feeble memory, it seems like HE has erred on the conservative side before and waved the red flag when an injury was brewing...

Sorry... just rambling...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).