Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:12 AM

This is not a knee jerk reaction to last nights game

People always point out his age as a negative...actually, I think you could look at it as a positive. If you believe that he is actually a quality major league hitter now..which I obviously do...then you have a major bargain for the next three to four years from ages 29 to 33...an age where most guys that produce like him are making a ton of dough...

He is good Rizzo insurance and may be able to play left...

This philosophy is predicated on the idea that you would not get a trade offer that has the same value..

#2 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:32 AM

I agree Chris. At his cost, he is a pretty valuable player to the Cubs right now, probably more valuable to them than what anyone else would give up for him.

#3 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:13 AM

As always, it just depends. If the right offer comes along, with a couple 22-year-old, very high upside pitchers? I'm not sure you could turn that down, particularly given that the Cubs' core is around that age, and its strength is position players.

#4 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:08 AM

I would love that offer...just not sure we will get it...

#5 Drew

Drew

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Twitter:@Drew7
  • LocationUrbana, IL

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:26 AM

I just dont know what to make of LaHair. I really like him mashing RHP, but his complete inability to hit lefties is a big negative. If he shows the ability to play the OF adequately and we don't get a decent trade offer, I'm ok with him staying, I just don't think his value could possibly get any higher than it is now.

#6 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:47 PM

I just dont know what to make of LaHair. I really like him mashing RHP, but his complete inability to hit lefties is a big negative. If he shows the ability to play the OF adequately and we don't get a decent trade offer, I'm ok with him staying, I just don't think his value could possibly get any higher than it is now.

I can't find any splits from before 2011, but he had pretty good numbers against lefties at Iowa last year. He had a 284/338/546 slash line in 154 plate appearances. He hasn't hit well in limited ab's this year against lefties, but he still sees a lot of pitches, and from what I can tell his minor league numbers point to him being better than what he has shown this year. It will be very interesting to see how much he platoons in the outfield after Rizzo comes up.

#7 willis

willis

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Twitter:@deadboltwillie
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:14 PM

At this point why not let him be in the lineup every day. He's seen what, 20 or so ABs this season against lefties. And the record is 3-15 with that all righty lineup?

Park him in Right once Rizzo comes up. With DeJesus in CF and just run with it. It's not like wins are going to be at a premium anyway, so why not just give him the ABs?

#8 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:15 PM

I can't find any splits from before 2011, but he had pretty good numbers against lefties at Iowa last year. He had a 284/338/546 slash line in 154 plate appearances. He hasn't hit well in limited ab's this year against lefties, but he still sees a lot of pitches, and from what I can tell his minor league numbers point to him being better than what he has shown this year. It will be very interesting to see how much he platoons in the outfield after Rizzo comes up.

I am of the opinion that he just needs to see more LHPs! I don't agree with the way he has to sit when we face the lefties... give him some more ABs vs the south paws and maybe he can get himself figured out....

#9 J.F.Edwards

J.F.Edwards

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Twitter:JoshuaEdwards3@twitter.com
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:41 PM

Agreed. Let the kid play every day. That righty lineup has been plain awful against lefties (3-15 record is putrid), so I just don't care what the numbers say. And I think letting LaHair figure out LHP is better than subbing him out this year. If he's still a liability against them at the end of the year at least there will be a larger sample size with which to prove it.

As for his career ML numbers, Lahair is less likely to hit lefties, but he's almost twice as likely to take a BB, and still sports a .324 OBP (his career avg is .357). I'd take that and his power potential over the right-handed options from the Cubs bench. Just move him down in the order against southpaws, stop treating him like he's gonna run away and hide in a corner if the pitcher throws left-handed.

I think most lefty pitchers would fear LaHair more than Johnson/Baker/Mather.
"You may run like Mayes but you hit like shit."

#10 Cheryl

Cheryl

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:15 PM

I'm not sure what their thinking in regard to LaHair. Thought he was going to play RF all of today than saw Johnson in his place in the 9th. He just seems to be on the outside looking in in terms of his playing time. If Sveum is convinced he can't hit lefties, then he should play him and it would bolster his view. it's not as if the cubs are going to make a run at a wildcard this year. So, why not give LaHair some at bats against lefties on a consistent basis.

#11 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:36 AM

I'm not sure what their thinking in regard to LaHair. Thought he was going to play RF all of today than saw Johnson in his place in the 9th. .

He started in RF, Johnson was a defensive substitution which might have saved the game since ReJo made a nice play (LaHair might have been able to grab it.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#12 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:33 AM

I'm not sure what their thinking in regard to LaHair. Thought he was going to play RF all of today than saw Johnson in his place in the 9th. .

He started in RF, Johnson was a defensive substitution which might have saved the game since ReJo made a nice play (LaHair might have been able to grab it off the grass and hit the cutoff man.

Fixed that for you.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).