#1 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:56 AM

Rival teams frequently ask about Darwin Barney and it’s possible the Cubs will trade the second baseman.

Similarly to LaHair, I know the obvious response is that nobody would offer enough to make it worth trading a player as productive as Barney at his price, but say that they do? If someone wants to overpay, or even sprinkle in some extra prospects in a Dempster or Garza I'd do it in heartbeat. I doubt that anyeone expects him to continue his 3.2 WAR play, and if this could be the definition of selling high.

Our next options for 2nd would be Cardenas, Valbuena, Lake, and DeWitt could then each audition for 2nd once Baker's gone.

#2 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:49 AM

Why does everyone assume that Lake is ready to audition for anything? He certainly is never going to be a 2nd baseman either way. He's ENORMOUS. He's ticketed for 3B or LF/RF.

#3 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:11 PM

Lake will not be a second baseman. Big guys with cannon arms play at third or in right. If Lake can't handle third (much too early say on that either way), he'll go to right. He could probably be promoted to Iowa anytime in the next six weeks or so, but he's still a ways away from any permanent job in Chicago.

The first real second base prospect in the system (not counting guys on the major league roster) would be Logan Watkins, and he is still at least a year away (if he makes it). Rubi Silva would be next. Arismendy Alcantara could be a candidate to move over; he would likely be a few months behind Silva. Zeke DeVoss is the lowest level of that bunch now, but I suspect he could motor up the farm system in a hurry. His BA is nothing special, but his OBP is pretty impressive.

#4 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:00 PM

Lake will not be a second baseman. Big guys with cannon arms play at third or in right. If Lake can't handle third (much too early say on that either way), he'll go to right. He could probably be promoted to Iowa anytime in the next six weeks or so, but he's still a ways away from any permanent job in Chicago.

I am not discounting your view here, but I'd be stunned if Lake is moved to AAA in 2012. He's doing well, but not destroying AA and his fielding numbers have been atrocious. He's definitely not a candidate to be rushed.

#5 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:31 PM

I just don't seeing him being moved right now, unless another move is targeted that will gain us a 2B that will be able to play next year, or some kind of FA signing. I guess if we get a great offer we'd be foolish not to take that deal and deal with 2B in another way.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#6 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:32 PM

I am not discounting your view here, but I'd be stunned if Lake is moved to AAA in 2012. He's doing well, but not destroying AA and his fielding numbers have been atrocious. He's definitely not a candidate to be rushed.

Only reason I mention Lake could be promoted is that he is coming up on a full year of Double A experience (he is at 112 games right now). He's not destroying the league, but an .818 OPS in the Southern League is nothing to sneeze at either. Once he crosses the 140 games played mark, I wouldn't be shocked if the Cubs bumped him up to Iowa.

They have said they want their prospects to get 162 games of Triple A experience, but I don't think that applies further down the farm system. By that thinking, if the Cubs move Lake to Iowa later this summer, he should have his 162 games of Triple A in time for a early season call up in 2014 (allowing some cushion for minor injuries).

#7 Hector Villanueva

Hector Villanueva

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:06 PM

Very curios to watch Lake develop and really think he could play RF with that arm. With Vitters, Lake and Soler you have 3 top prospects for Cubs that don't necessarily fit the prototypical type of player that the new regimes been attempting to build around. I'd expect Lake or Vitters to be packaged in a trade next month.

#8 chirogerg1

chirogerg1

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:55 PM

If you were the GM, we would literally keep trading away prospects that aren't perfect for more prospects who you would trade again later

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).