T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:37 AM

Alternatively, what are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

It's late and I know no one is here, but this is necessary. I've always felt that one of the best ways to judge a person's character is by the music that they listen to, and I'm curious as to what y'all have on your iPods.

Tool is my study music, and with 4 tests this week, Tool is in my ears constantly. If you like rock/metal but dont like Tool for some reason, I'd suggest giving them another shot.

I've also really been into Pink Floyd (who isn't?) and have recently re-discovered my love for Animals, which has been getting a ton of play on my computer for the last week, as has the live The Wall (side note: am I the only one who thinks Dark Side of the Moon is really overrated?)

I'll kick it off. I've really been digging the indie-rock scene lately, and I've been obsessed with Portugal. The Man. Their arrangements are pretty spectacular, they have some very unique vocals, and (this is the kicker for me, since I play the guitar) the guitar work on a lot of their songs is top-notch. It's fun, catchy music, but it packs a punch at times. If you take absolutely nothing out of this whole post, please just go listen to the album "The Satanic Satanist" on Portugal. The Man's website, where they stream a bunch of their music. It's well worth your time if you like rock-ish stuff

.....so, what tunes have you all been down with lately?

#2 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:11 AM

The other day I was bopping around on YouTube and stumbled across an album I had on vinyl back in the day. It was always one of my favorites so I listened to about 4 cuts, and was magically transported back to 1980. The band? UFO with Michael Schenker on guitar. The album was "Strangers in the Night" a live album which I believe was recorded in Chicago. Kids, go find it and listen to what us old bastards used to listen to.

The other oldie that I used to listen to alot, and recently rediscovered due to the magic of YouTube is Tommy Bolin - "Private Eyes". Great songs on that album, my favorite was "Don't Let Your Mind Poast Toastee". Ironically, Tommy died of a heroin overdose about a year later.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#3 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:30 AM

Im currently listening to Ween's "The Pod" if your into great alternative music and have not listened to Ween stop and listen to them right now.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#4 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:46 AM

OK, I can take instruction. Just listened to Ween's "Voodoo Lady", not bad.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#5 LARRY

LARRY

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCentral Illinois

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:56 AM

Wow, I didn't realize any music was recorded after 1980. Try the Marshall Tucker Band. They were the warmup band for the Eagles in Champaign, IL, circa 1975, at the Assembly Hall. The crowd didn't want them to leave the stage and booed the Eagles when they took over. The Eagles were really pissed and lectured the audience about proper manners.

#6 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:05 AM

OK, I can take instruction. Just listened to Ween's "Voodoo Lady", not bad.

That's one of their more accessible songs, they are truly an ecclectic band and one has to listen to a wide range of Ween to truly appreciate their greatness. I posted a video on the "Awesome Video" post that shows them at their rawest and most experimental, but I suggest finding songs from their "12 Golden Country Greats" album. They
actively chose to go to Nashville and write a quality "country" album with Nashville session musicians- great stuff. Also look for songs from the Mollusk album. Enjoy.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#7 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:26 AM

Wow, I didn't realize any music was recorded after 1980. Try the Marshall Tucker Band. They were the warmup band for the Eagles in Champaign, IL, circa 1975, at the Assembly Hall. The crowd didn't want them to leave the stage and booed the Eagles when they took over. The Eagles were really pissed and lectured the audience about proper manners.

I hate the fucking Eagles, man.

I love the Marshall Tucker Band though. They're great. Another band in the Southern Rock vein that I've been digging on a lot recently is Swampgas, a band that formed for about 15 minutes in 1971 and managed to put out an incredibly great rock album. It's long been out of print, but you can manage to download it here.

#8 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:32 AM

Tool is my study music, and with 4 tests this week, Tool is in my ears constantly. If you like rock/metal but dont like Tool for some reason, I'd suggest giving them another shot.

I regret not checking out this band. I've never heard anything bad about them.

I've also really been into Pink Floyd (who isn't?) and have recently re-discovered my love for Animals, which has been getting a ton of play on my computer for the last week, as has the live The Wall (side note: am I the only one who thinks Dark Side of the Moon is really overrated?)

DSoTM is overrated, but not nearly as much as The Wall, I think. Animals is my favorite Floyd album. Meddle and Atom Heart Mother are wonderful as well. And I think I might be the only one who likes The Division Bell.

#9 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:06 AM

I'm with TC on this one. Tool is my absolute favorite. The way they build the instrumentals in their songs is ridiculous. I could listen to any Tool album over and over and not tire of it. They are the best live performers that I've ever seen, and I've been to tons of concerts.

I listen to Ween every once in a while, but it's not my cup of tea most of the time. It's good music if I'm in the right mood.

There hasn't been a new band come out in a long time that I'm impressed with. For the most part, newer music kind of stinks. That could just be because I hate rap, country, and any kind of pop music, which is all that seems to be out. Even the Rock sections at the music stores are filled with pop music garbage.

#10 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:22 AM

Offered only to change things up: Jets to Brazil. Check it out. Awesome shit.

#11 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:38 AM

What no Gaga

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#12 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:29 AM

What no Gaga

Even I have my limits.

#13 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 04:22 PM

Fishin Phil, I love you. UFO is easily one of my favorite bands, and I've got the Strangers in the Night album on my dorm room wall. Schenker was a frikken genius on the guitar, and its a shame he was such a dick and broke up the band multiple times. Either way, Strangers in the Night is like the best live album of all time in my opinion, and I'm a huge fan of UFO in general.

#14 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 04:30 PM

LARRY - The Marshall Tucker Band is solid

MG - I dont really know what to think about Ween yet...

DSoTM is overrated, but not nearly as much as The Wall, I think. Animals is my favorite Floyd album. Meddle and Atom Heart Mother are wonderful as well. And I think I might be the only one who likes The Division Bell.

Yea I can agree with that, The Wall is definitely overrated, but I still like it. I rather like Meddle and Atom Heart Mother, but don't listen to them nearly enough. The Division Bell, however....well, I'm not a fan at all

I'm with TC on this one. Tool is my absolute favorite. The way they build the instrumentals in their songs is ridiculous. I could listen to any Tool album over and over and not tire of it. They are the best live performers that I've ever seen, and I've been to tons of concerts.

There hasn't been a new band come out in a long time that I'm impressed with. For the most part, newer music kind of stinks. That could just be because I hate rap, country, and any kind of pop music, which is all that seems to be out. Even the Rock sections at the music stores are filled with pop music garbage.

I know, and their lyrics are fairly heavy and meaningful (for the most part) and the instrumentals are sooo powerful. As a self-proclaimed musician, I really enjoy the funky time signatures and the craziness of the bass and drums, with mostly simple guitar on top. It's strong stuff
As far as newer music being awful, yea, pop rap and country are garbage, and so is almost all new rock. I suggest maybe Portugal The Man, or Cage The Elephant, Kasier Chiefs, Muse, Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, or possibly Alter Bridge

#15 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 04:44 PM

I very, very much enjoyed this suggestion, thank you. Do you know anything else like this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).