#1 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:52 PM

After the series with the Red Sox, I realize I don't miss them. Who is there to root for with that organization?

I love that FFA (Fan Free Agency) has me with the Cubs now. I really don't want to change teams again. But time has allowed me to cool off, so that I can debrief myself as to what went on in that fog of disfunction.
So, if they wanted a fan like me back...

First: Lose Larry Lucchino.

Second: Build a statue in honor of Terri Francona. (like you already shoulda')

Third: Wash said statue with the repentant tears of John Henry.

I have other demands. But I can't even negotiate with that organization as is sinks into the partially reclaimed backbay.

Go, Cubs.

#2 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:14 PM

Don't like Pedroia or Adrian Gonzalez?

#3 Dave H

Dave H

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationLombard,IL

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:21 PM

The street that runs parallel to 1st base should changed be Buckner Way.

"We won a game yesterday. If we win one today, that’s two in a row. We win one tomorrow, that’s called a winning streak. It HAS happened before." - Lou Brown

#4 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:02 PM

The street that runs parallel to 1st base should changed be Buckner Way.

And a yield sign installed so everybody just rolls through.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#5 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:31 AM

Billy Buckner got such a raw deal (and still sometimes gets one). That series was so painful. So many squandered oportunities. Have you heard the interview prior to the series where Buckner practically names the form of "the Destroyer"?
Posted Image
"I am an easy grounder. Something you loved from childhood that could never hurt you."

Many casual Boston fans remember the series (and maybe even Billy) all wrong. That became a horrible year. I literally could not watch sports, I mean not even high school tennis, for months and months...maybe more.

But I think I love Buck more now, like Desdemona loved Othello, for the dangers he's passed. And that was not where the Sox lost the series, and that particular error was the manager's error more than Buck's.

But, fate, your finger, why always does it often seem to be the middle one?

Oh, ye who lived in a land with Bartman, shudder.

#6 Cubs Dude

Cubs Dude

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:59 PM

So FromFenWay Pahk, what is your story with switching from the Sox to the Cubs? Luccino,defenitely seems to be a complete douche egomaniac, and they seem a little off and very judgemental over there In Fenway. But what pushed you to the Cubs?

#7 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:06 AM

Buckner is the hitting coach for the Boise Hawks these days.

#8 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:52 PM

Brett,
Gonzalas-- I was pretty pumped when he joined the Sox. His silent Sam routine is no reason to hate, but often I've wondered where he was when a clubhouse attitude needed re-adjustment (Lackey, eg). He has a SWEET swing, but a scary power drop-off (esp to left) since 2011 all-star break. Personally, I think he hurt his shoulder in the Papi-fueled HR derby last year. Some think the decline has already begun. His OBP is as low as his rookie year. Maybe he just is being Green-Monstahed right now.

Pedroia--can't say anything baseball-bad about Pedey. Any up-and-comer should watch his commitment and listen to his offseason regular radio appearances (WEEI?). IF his thumb is torn up, NO ONE in the organization has the (moral) authority to shut him down so he can get well. (I'm back to bad managment )

Luke, thanks for the Boise video link (dating game) It had good Bill Buckner interviews re hitting coach changes in Chicago and his future in the game.

Dude, I was pissed off; couldn't put the game away; visited Chicago once and found the people incredibly friendly; always wanted to learn the NL anyway; thought the present Cubs felt a lot like the pre-WS champion Sox (very familiar); could hear the fanbase maturing (wanted to be in on that) ; followed Theo;

I can smell a BIG win in the Cubs future and want to be part of that, especially...

#9 TrueblueCubbie

TrueblueCubbie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Twitter:@cubsfantroy

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:29 PM

I am related to Pedroia by marriage. True story.

Posted Image

#10 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 24 June 2012 - 02:27 PM

This has me thinking is there anything the Cubs could do to make me want to ball ship?

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#11 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:38 PM

This has me thinking is there anything the Cubs could do to make me want to ball ship?

I think that the closest thing at this point would be trading Castro, unless they got something absolutely insane in return.

#12 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:59 AM

Probably no, MG.
Understand that I have been a BoSox fan since The Impossible Dream year--which means, like you, I suffered through A LOT of shit. We, neither of us, were ever likely to bail.

It took bunches of Larry's bad moves to totally sour me. Plus I think I am at a stage in life when I appreciate good management (when I was a kid I decidedly did not).

My souring started with Theo's Gorilla Suit debacle (He got public control of the front office after that, and that seemed to sate him for the remainder of his time there. It also made the BoSox easier to follow because NO ONE was managing in the press from then on).

My fandom ended just before the hiring of the current ass-clown of a manager. It was the Tito-drubbing that finally got me to terminate my allegiance after only five years of wearing me down.

In short. guys like Youk and Tito are used up and stupidly thrown away. There comes a time for moving on (K Wood) , but there are classy, productive ways to do it.

I guess I am a conservationist; I hated to see resources wasted--especially human resources. The last resource I could protect from Larry and John Henry was me. I will try to not be taken for granted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).