#1 DarthRomer

DarthRomer

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Twitter:@Darthromer

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:26 AM

With Stewart still hurt, anybody interested in the possibility of Vitters getting a crack in Chicago or is everyone resigned to him being a trade chip?
He is only 22 and seems to be finally finding his way.

#2 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:58 AM

The fact that he's finding his was is why we don't want to rush him. Maybe if we had a chance this season, we could give him a look. The fact is, while he may seem like he's been around for an eternity, he's one of the younger players in AAA at 22. I doubt that he'll ever live up to his original hype, but I think that he can become an above average 3B.

#3 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:11 AM

If he is not traded (and there is a good chance he won't be) I think we could see him in September. He has some more work to do before he's really ready for the majors, though. I think an ETA of first half 2013 would not be overly optimistic.

#4 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:46 AM

That's what I was thinking as well, Luke. Bring him up in September for a little taste, then look for him some time in 2013 if he continues to progress.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#5 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,637 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:49 AM

That's what I was thinking as well, Luke. Bring him up in September for a little taste, then look for him some time in 2013 if he continues to progress.

That's what I'd like to see as well. I could also be fine with him not making an appearance until next year, or being traded.

I guess I'm OK with everything, except calling him up right now.

#6 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:23 PM

Personally, I'm liking the heck out of Vilabuena... I wouldn't mind if Stewart were out for a while... (sorry Ian)

#7 rcleven

rcleven

Bleacher Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:04 PM

Personally, I'm liking the heck out of Vilabuena... I wouldn't mind if Stewart were out for a while... (sorry Ian)

Although he is better than anything the Cubs have shown us this year I sure hope we see something better in the near future. .217 Average 250 OBP 728OPS is not exciting me out of the third base position.

#8 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:14 PM

Just out of curiosity, has anyone heard any indication that he's remotely a trade chip? Josh Vitters is the type of player that sellers buy at the deadline, not sell.

#9 DarthRomer

DarthRomer

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Twitter:@Darthromer

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:45 PM

Not sure where I read or heard it, just caught wind of it some where and was curious what other people thought of the possibility.

#10 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:22 PM

The idea is out there because Vitters seen as the kind of player Epstein and Hoyer don't like. The thinking runs that they love hitters who walk a lot, and since Vitters does not walk a lot they want to get rid of Vitters.

I'm not sure I completely buy into that. Unless they are able to find their perfect third base prospect somewhere else, I don't think the front office would dump a potential upgrade because of a few flaws. Not yet, anyway. Besides, if Vitters has success at the major league level for a season or two his trade value might even go up.

I don't think he's on any kind of 'almost untouchable' list, but I doubt he's actively being shopped either.

#11 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:27 PM

I definitely agree that he's not untouchable, just not that he should be actively shopped. Usually, teams will only actively shop a prospect if they're blocked for the foreseeable future, or if the team is about ready to give up on them, but not enough so to just cut them.

I suggested in another thread that adding Vitters could help to pry Castelannos from Detroit in a Garza trade.

#12 A_Mazz_Ing

A_Mazz_Ing

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Twitter:a_mazz_ing

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:26 PM

Vitters has been on fire lately. .293/.344/.500. Granted that's in the PCL so numbers are inflated... but he just keeps getting better. And he was hitting like .240/.270/.350 for the first month and a half. So that really tells you something. Seems like it takes Vitters a year or so to adjust to the new level. I love that he doesn't K a lot. The lack of walks and the craptastic defense do scare me though.

#13 Hector Villanueva

Hector Villanueva

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:48 PM

His D will improve. It's gotten better each year and I think he will be starting at 3B next year opening day.

#14 A_Mazz_Ing

A_Mazz_Ing

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Twitter:a_mazz_ing

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:45 PM

I hope so. I want to see him improve and take over starting in September (even though Valbuena was awesome tonight).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).