amoo22

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Twitter:andrewmoo22
  • Facebook:andrew Moore

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:07 AM

Jose Reyes is a free agent after the end of this season, which is extremely soon.

Why would you the cubs fan like to see him here? Why wouldnt you? what type of money would he command from the payroll. What position would he play? If not the cubs then where would reyes go? What will the cubs infield be next year?

#2 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:19 AM

Coming off a career year with two injuries to the same hamstring (when speed is his biggest weapon) and approaching 30...

I'm not particularly interested. I think, even with the injuries and the questions, some team is going to give him four or more years, and $12 to $14 million per year. Which is, to my mind, crazy.

#3 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:35 AM

NO, NO, NO

I made this point on the Crawford vs. Soriano post http://www.bleachern...boston-edition/

A team should never sign a player in his 30's that relies on speed as a primary weapon to long term contract. It will diminish and once the speed diminishes so will the rest of his game- Carl Crawford is a perfect example.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#4 amoo22

amoo22

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Twitter:andrewmoo22
  • Facebook:andrew Moore

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:06 AM

so then we are gonna see a 2b ss 3b of barney castro and lahair with 100 RBIs combined? And probably pena with another 90 RBI at 1b?

#5 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:11 AM

so then we are gonna see a 2b ss 3b of barney castro and lahair with 100 RBIs combined? And probably pena with another 90 RBI at 1b?

Possibly (Barney won't be at 2nd), but signing a speed guy in his 30's with a history of injury to the 4yr 50-60M (that's what he'll be looking for) is a bad, bad move. The Cubs are starting to get rid of the bad Hendry-era contracts and to start the new regime with another bad contract is not the model for long term success.

I agree Reyes could help the Cubs next year, but unless he is looking to sign a 1-2 year deal its not worth discussing.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#6 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:28 AM

I assume you meant LeMahieu at 3B.

And ... yeah. Maybe.

#7 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:37 AM

NO, NO, NO

I made this point on the Crawford vs. Soriano post http://www.bleachern...boston-edition/

A team should never sign a player in his 30's that relies on speed as a primary weapon to long term contract. It will diminish and once the speed diminishes so will the rest of his game- Carl Crawford is a perfect example.

I said it on the other thread, and I'll repeat it here: Amen! For exactly the reasons MG spelled out.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#8 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:47 AM

NO, NO, NO

I said it on the other thread, and I'll repeat it here: Amen! For exactly the reasons MG spelled out.

The Cult of MG has its first member baaaah, baaah, baaaah

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#9 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:08 PM

The Cult of Goats, it sounds like a Cubs fan blog to me.
And definitely no on Reyes. He is going to get Carl Crawford money, despite his owners words, and he's going to put up Carl Crawford numbers for someone. Maybe we'll get luck and that's what the Brewers or Cardinals will spend their leftover money.

#10 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:10 AM

Reyes had a bunt single in the first yesterday, and then asked to be pulled from the game so that he could be ensured the batting title.

That's fucked up.

#11 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:15 AM

Reyes had a bunt single in the first yesterday, and then asked to be pulled from the game so that he could be ensured the batting title.

That's fucked up.

It happens, but its not a classy move if you looking for a good FA contract. What I'm really shocked is that his manager didn't say "Sure Jose, but let me take the blame for this I don't want you to take the negative press that comes from this" it makes me wonder just how "liked" he is in the clubhouse.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#12 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:36 AM

I think it's b.s...the manager should have said either play or don't play...I know the game was meaningless...but selfishness is so ingrained in everything we do...theoretically he was placing his team in jeopardy by opting out...I know it sounds corny but I can guarantee there are many organizations with a better "team" concept that would not have allowed this to happen...Twins, Braves, probably Captain Blueblocker's Cards..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).