MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:36 PM

The internet's history is littered with sites that have gone both ways. Some took a hands-off approach to moderation as the site grew, and the result was Slashdot... a once good site that descended into a pointless troll fest while the good audience that built up the site moved on to greener pastures.

This is my great fear

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#17 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:22 AM

For what it's worth, I would highly support comment ranking as Luke suggests. I hope it's not a difficult thing to plug-in/implement.

#18 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 24 June 2012 - 02:32 PM

I know Brett was looked into comment rating, but here the rub- if douchey asshats are running the board then a good comment could get a negative mark.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#19 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:28 PM

I have indeed looked into comment ranking, and it's something I would implement if/when I find a reliable plugin. So far, not so good.

#20 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:41 AM

I have indeed looked into comment ranking, and it's something I would implement if/when I find a reliable plugin. So far, not so good.

http://cr4.globalspec.com/ uses a rating system that seems to work pretty well. It also links back to the persons profile and everyone can see how many good answers they have been given.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#21 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:37 PM

It was annoying, then funny, then funnier, and now it's just mostly sad. And for people who don't know that it's a troll or satire, they just think the site has a bunch of dumbasses. I don't much want that...

Brett, not trying to be a downer, just not sure if anyone has asked this. Is it possible that Shelby Menge is truly a slow person who just loves the Cubs? If it's a troll/jokester, then I guess I can see the humor in it, but if it's not, this guys comments remind me an awful lot of some of the autistic kids that I've been around. I like the humor and light hearted nature most of us have here, but I would feel awful if a bunch of us were to unknowingly make fun of a disabled person, mistaking them for a troll.

#22 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:27 PM

It was annoying, then funny, then funnier, and now it's just mostly sad. And for people who don't know that it's a troll or satire, they just think the site has a bunch of dumbasses. I don't much want that...

Brett, not trying to be a downer, just not sure if anyone has asked this. Is it possible that Shelby Menge is truly a slow person who just loves the Cubs? If it's a troll/jokester, then I guess I can see the humor in it, but if it's not, this guys comments remind me an awful lot of some of the autistic kids that I've been around. I like the humor and light hearted nature most of us have here, but I would feel awful if a bunch of us were to unknowingly make fun of a disabled person, mistaking them for a troll.

Definitely hope that isn't the case. I just ignore her/him now, because it's become so infrequent. There was a time, though, where the questions - he/she never actually acknowledged that we answered some of his/her questions earnestly - just seemed too intentionally funny on top of each other to be anything other than intentional.

Your overall point is obviously fair.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).