MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:32 AM

So BleacherNation did not win the Blog with Balls award, and lost it to media mogul Washington Post's blog-- and that really sucks!

So let's give Brett all the reasons we love BleacherNation and why it's better, badder, and will kick the Post's ass if they met in a dark alley.

For this goat, I've watched BleacherNation grow and evolve into top tier Cubs blog and I'd argue the best one out there. I discovered BleacherNation in 2009 and started regularly posting around the end of the 2010 season... and the presence of MichiganGoat was born and now your stuck with me.

Around this same time I started the expensive and mentally draining process that is divorce (kids I'm telling you right now PRE-NUP, PRE-NUP, PRE-NUP), and BleacherNation provided me a place to escape and discuss a slightly less frustrating subject- the Chicago Cubs and a much more enjoyable subject- BEER. Seriously if there is a study on how commenting on a blog can be therapeutic I volunteer my experiences.

As I continued to post I discovered the premier aspect of BleacherNation-- the community. I've read Cubs blogs since they became a regular and plentiful, but I always avoided commenting on them because the posters were always overtly reactionary, adolescent in tone, and mainly a series of arguments and name calling, but BleacherNation was different. The comments were regularly rational, intelligent, and informative, and once I started posting regularly I found myself engaged in meaningful conversations about the Cubs. I have made some real friends on here and hope that one day all of us can get together and enjoy a beer.

We are the best community of Cub Fans on the internet and quite possibly the best community of commenters you'll find on any sports blog. We are totally AWESOME!

Brett has continued to provide us timely responses to Cubs news, rumors, and rumblings with an intelligence and wit that is difficult to maintain on a daily basis, yet he continues to impress day after day, and all this without a staff of reporters or living in Wrigleyville. Impressive! I'm glad to have a wonderful place to be a Cub fan and I am proud to be a member of the BleacherNation community.

So share the reasons you love BleacherNation and why its an important part of you life as a Cub Fan.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#2 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:27 AM

Wow, MG... I appreciate that. I genuinely believed that what I was doing was "more important" than when I was a lawyer, but it is pretty (lame word choice alert) touching to read your story - which confirms to me what I believed.

I'm glad you - and many, many others - are here. I look forward to meeting you - and many, many others - over that beer. Until then, I'm glad we have this place to hang out.

#3 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:35 AM

I love Bleacher Nation because the articles are short and informative.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#4 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:39 AM

I love Bleacher Nation because the articles are short and informative.

I wondered how long it would take. Retweet and Like.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#5 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:49 AM

That was just too easy.

OK, here is the real reason I love Bleacher Nation: As MG mentioned, it is a great community that shares the common pain of being Cubs fans. I used to read the message boards at Cubs.com, but you could never find any useful information amongst all the bickering and name calling. I never posted there.

This place is more like a neighborhood bar where we sit around, chew the fat, discuss the Cubs and knock back a couple of beers.

Brett, thank you so much for creating this place. The tone of your articles sets the tone for the community. You lead by example, and that creates the atmosphere here without heavy handed moderating.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#6 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:26 PM

This place is definitely a haven. I started reading and posting during the 09 season, mostly because of how caustic most fans were on other sites. Brett's always professional, while not above being immature with the rest of us, and like others have said, he shares our pain, and it comes out in his writing. Also like Brett always says, it has the best group of commenters on the internets. Most people here are full of knowledge, humor, and humility, while still maintaining that "wait til next year" optimism that I used to hate, but have learned to appreciate, because it's an essential ingredient to be a true Cubs fan. I remember after the 09 playoffs there were so many fans who came out and said they were done with the team no matter what. There was hardly any of that garbage here at Bleacher Nation. Posting here, and talking with all of you makes me proud to be a Cubs fan again, which wasn't the case after the back to back playoff exits and having to read so many people dumping on a team that they clearly didn't care about as much as I do.

#7 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 28 September 2011 - 04:04 PM

Jeff, did you just say "wait 'til next year"?

#8 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:41 PM

This was, quite literally, the first Cubs blog I ever read. My cousin sent an article about a possible Garza trade, and ever since I've been reading the articles here every day

Why it's great? I dont really know. Brett's writing style is both accessible and entertaining, he's not a stuck-up prick like most writers I read before him, and he's really, really on top of his game. the site is simply the best Cubs blog around. and the discussions on the posts and now in the forum are mostly enlightened and interesting. I just like the place. Keep up the good work, Brett

#9 Ron

Ron

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Twitter:@RonPSchwery
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:28 PM

Why Bleacher Nation is Winning! I started following BN near the end of the 2010 season while looking for Trade Rumors. I followed a few other sites and didn't even consider posting because of the sophmoric tone. There was never a tone of inteligence in the followers and they emobodied what I hate about the internet, (kids who know nothing throughing insults while hiding behind a keyboard) but this place has always been different. The followers are great and I too look forward to a beer with some of you. But I think if there was one article that "got" me it was your Meta posting when Brett "came out". I read it to my wife. As a small business owner that brings my kids to work on occasion I can relate. There is a realness here that does not exist in other places. MG is right that I to have friends here that can honestly relate to what it is like to be a true fan. I am not and have never been a bandwaggoner and most sites are trolled by these shmucks that feel like typing f@#k makes them look smart. There is a depth of knowledge here that does not exist other places. Brett, it doesn't take an award to be a winner.

#10 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:16 PM

Jeff, did you just say "wait 'til next year"?

I might have said it twice in there somewhere if you look closely.

#11 Glenallens One Homer

Glenallens One Homer

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:52 PM

BN is the best because we have a leader and fanbase who genuinely care. Not just in that typically assy way of blindly following the trends of which players are and aren't popular through the season, everyone here (most of all Brett) really cares about the Cubs and the way they play. I love that Brett can at once be incisive as well as a goddamn riot in the same sentence. He bring the absolute best parts of sports blogs (humor, unique perspectives, etc.) and leaves out the crap (ridiculous homerism, pretension, immaturity) which makes for one hell of a read. It's not just the best Cubs blog, BN is unquestionably the best baseball blog I have read.

I started reading early this season, so I'm a relative newcomer, but I have never been disappointed in Brett or the vast majority of those who regularly comment. I've had a rough summer taking care of my really sick dad after a stroke, but I swear that BN has made a lot of it much better. It sounds stupid, but this really did help me through a lot (god knows the Cubs themselves didn't do much). You guys just flat-out rock and I'm so glad that I have a worthwhile thing to read that isn't full of faux-provocative bullshit and is just fun to read every single day.

#12 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:17 PM

Wow. Suffice it to say, I never got this kind of feedback as a lawyer...

I'd say you guys are making me blush, but that would be a lie. You're actually making me kind of tear up.

I'm very glad that this place has become a hangout for funny, knowledgeable, passionate Cubs fans. It is simultaneously the least and most I hoped it would be.

Now, here's hoping the Cubs have some, like, actual good years in the next few. I can only imagine how much fun this place could be if we were all here AND the Cubs were winning...

#13 Dave

Dave

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 29 September 2011 - 05:33 PM

BN is a great site, but it needs more cowbell.

#14 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 06:32 PM

I'd say you guys are making me blush, but that would be a lie. You're actually making me kind of tear up.

I take it all back, Brett is a big whinny cry baby. He loves lipstick, Oprah, and vagina monologues. I'd rather have the cowbells.

Did I mention I love the humor on this site.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#15 Jim

Jim

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 03:23 PM

I discovered this place about 2 months ago. I mostly visited 3 places before Bleacher Nation (NSBB, BleedCubbieBlue and Desipio). I enjoy the humor of Andy Dolan's writing and the smart assedry of the Desipio message board and the Cub fans there fall in line with my views of the Cubs and baseball for the most part. BleedCubbieBlue is too controlling by Al Yellon and the posters too easily fall in line with his thoughts; it's the kind of blog/board that would be embraced by the local media as typical Cub fans - which sickens me. NSBB is a place where you can find a whole lot of useful information, especially minor league news and amateur draft updates; but the posters on the boards there all seem to have an attitude of knowing it all and fashion themselves as mini-Theos. Every thread seems to have one poster getting picked on by the same group of know it alls.

But Bleacher Nation and Brett's writing encompasses the whole spectrum of baseball wisdom - the people here realize that there is more than one way to approach how you view this game and team. Plus Brett's articles are short and to the point. You've done a great job, Brett and this is the place I go to for my daily fix of Cubs news. It's going to be a fun off-season and I'm glad I found Bleacher Nation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).