#1 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:16 AM

With all the hype surrounding Jorge Soler and Alberto Almora, neither of which have yet to report to a camp, or even officially sign (at least as far as we know), here's a guy who starting to generate interest who's actually played, and been very good at it.

If you follow the farm system closely, or even somewhat chances are you've heard about him by now. If you're one of those who don't get wind of prospects until they're close to the big leagues or make a Top 100 list, you should definitely start following this kid.
Here's what Ben Badler had to say about him recently

Cubs third baseman Jeimer Candelario was born in New York. Had he stayed in the United States, there's a good chance he would have been a first-round pick earlier this month.

Instead, Candelario moved to the Dominican Republic and signed with the Cubs two years ago for $500,000, which is already looking like a potential bargain. After crushing the ball in the Dominican Summer League last year, Candelario, 18, has skipped the Rookie-level Arizona League and jumped to short-season Boise, where he hit his first home run of the year yesterday in a 2-for-4 evening, bringing him to .292/.320/.458 through his first six games.

Candelario is a switch-hitter with a mature approach to hitting and power from both sides of the plate. He has work to do to remain at third base, but the Cubs have a potential breakout prospect on their hands here.

Since this was written, he's already added 3 HR, with a season line of .350/.395/.675/1.070. His OBP, a rarity in the PCL isn't what is was last season, and is what originally caught peopl's eyes. His DSL line for 2011 was .337/.443/.478 with 5 HR in 249 AB/305 PA.

If you're not yet on the bandwagon, hop on.

#2 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:20 AM

I don't really get excited until a prospect gets a full season in Peoria or move up rapidly. Right now I just can't get excited.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#3 rcleven

rcleven

Bleacher Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:08 AM

I don't really get excited until a prospect gets a full season in Peoria or move up rapidly. Right now I just can't get excited.

Ditto but I don't get too excited till there has been success at the AA level. Just too many flame outs at the lower levels to get excited about.

#4 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:28 AM

The power is very interesting. He was expected to develop it in time, but obviously he's been crushing it lately.

#5 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:35 AM

The biggest thing I like about Candelario... and have since last season... is his patience. It is fairly rare for a 17 year old at any level to have more walks than strikeouts, let alone in professional ball. The DSL is not a high level league by any stretch, but again, he had more walks than strikeouts while playing at a young age against professionals. That's a good sign no matter how you slice it.

The fact that he's a switch hitter who can hit the ball hard from both sides of the plate is nice too.

#6 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:26 AM

He's one of those footnote guys I'm excited to see this summer.

#7 Cubsin

Cubsin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationO'Fallon, IL 62269

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:56 AM

I've been following Candelario since about mid-season last year in the Dominican Summer League, where he hit .337/.443/.478/.921 in 305 plate appearances. In Extended Spring Training this year, he hit .308/.368/.466/.834 in 115 PA. He skipped Rookie Ball, and is currently at .349/.391/.535/.926 after 92 PA. He'll turn 19 in late November, and is a switch-hitter.

I think he's clearly a top 10 Cubs' prospect, and he's had more than 500 plate appearances as a pro, compared to zero for Soler and Almora.

#8 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:53 PM

I think he's clearly a top 10 Cubs' prospect, and he's had more than 500 plate appearances as a pro, compared to zero for Soler and Almora.

Good point, we often focus on "reputation" rather than results when discussing prospets. At the start of 2013 Spring Training it will be interesting to see where everyone is ranked.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#9 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

I've heard rumblings about him... how's his defense? Will he be able to hold down the hot corner once his frame starts filling in or will they have to move him to 1st/OF?

#10 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:47 PM

I've heard rumblings about him... how's his defense? Will he be able to hold down the hot corner once his frame starts filling in or will they have to move him to 1st/OF?

Way too early to say for sure. There seem to be scouts holding both opinions, but we're largely in 'wait and see' mode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).