Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:18 AM

The Cubs window to compete depends in part on how they do signing starting pitching this winter. I sincerely doubt they are going to pass on trying to win until they develop an entire starting rotation on their own, so if they think they can come out of free agency with a No 1/2 guy and maybe another 2/3 guy, then trading for Headley actually puts them fairly close to competing next season. They would still, I think, need a big middle of the order bat at catcher or in the outfield and maybe a veteran or two in the bullpen, but that's about it.

We'll have a better idea after we see what kind of a haul the team gets at the trade deadline, but I don't think it is by any means certain that the Cubs are just planning to punt every year through 2015.

#17 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:44 AM

For some reason I can't cut and paste, but the Padres are once again shopping Chase Headley, but asking "a lot" for him. Now before that scares us off, more often than not, unless talking about an elite player that's more gesturing than anything.

While the farm system is very important to the new regime, and I'm all for that, we'll have to go external at some point. Headley is exactly what we'll need. An impact bat (.265/.371/.409: .274/.330/.488 on the road), a switch hitter, and a 3rd baseman. Alos, we could get him without mortgaging the future, and leaving plenty of money if we planned on picking up a free agent ot 2 in the offseason.

As you recall, in the Winter when we ended up with Ian Stewart, who is betteter than his stats say, we were also looking at Headley. Rumors were that the Padres were interested in James Russell and Darwin Barney. It would likely take a bit more than that.

Another guy that could entice them is Chris Volstad. If there's one thing that could fix a once very highly touted pitching prospect who's still just 25 years old it's pitching the bulk of your games at PetCo, AT&T, and Dodger Stadium.

maybe 2 of the above 3 and a decent but not top 10 prospect with a low level prospect of theirs coming our way as well?

We could then experiment with Josh Vitters in LF. Maybe sign BJ Upton to a 4/45 deal giving us the opportunity to trade Vitters, Jackson, or DeJesus for pitching and start the season with a starting lineup of:

DeJesus RF
Castro SS
Headley 3B
Rizzo 1B
Upton CF
Vitters/Jackson/Soriano if not traded LF
Castillo/Soto C
Valbuena/Cardenas/cheap FA or trade aquisition 2B

#18 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:08 AM

I'm just going to point you in this direction.

#19 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:15 AM

I think my biggest issue is that he's already 28 and will be likely in decline by the time the Cubs are really ready to fully compete. That said, he's a really, really solid piece.

But I think that they can compete. Headley would cost a few young pieces, but not enough to damage the future.

While I have no problem with Theo and Jed not giving insane contracts to guys like Fielder and Pujols, I don't see why that means that they can't sign some free agents here and there. Hamels might be out of the price range, but if we kept Garza, even if we save the extension talks until next year we could sign someone like McCarthy or Anibal Sanchez for a reasonable price, or even throw up a prayer on francisco Liriano if he's cheap enough. That gives us a respectable rotation of Garza/Shark/McCarthy-Sanchez-Liriano/Wood/Maholm. Depending on the price, B.J. Upton would be a nice addition. If not, I'm sure there are ways to acquire a decent bat for the OF without overspending.

I love what they're doing with the farm system, but unless you're the Rays pumping out stud pitchers like a puppy mill does Yorkies, you need some external additions as well.

#20 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:38 AM

The only FA I really hope the Cubs make a serious offer to is Michael Bourn

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#21 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:18 AM

The Cubs window to compete depends in part on how they do signing starting pitching this winter. I sincerely doubt they are going to pass on trying to win until they develop an entire starting rotation on their own, so if they think they can come out of free agency with a No 1/2 guy and maybe another 2/3 guy, then trading for Headley actually puts them fairly close to competing next season. They would still, I think, need a big middle of the order bat at catcher or in the outfield and maybe a veteran or two in the bullpen, but that's about it.

We'll have a better idea after we see what kind of a haul the team gets at the trade deadline, but I don't think it is by any means certain that the Cubs are just planning to punt every year through 2015.

This is a very good point. And they have OODLES of cash to spend. I guess we'll find out based on whether they trade Garza or not. I can't see them trading him with ideas of trying to compete in 2013 or 2014.

#22 rcleven

rcleven

Bleacher Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:19 AM

The only FA I really hope the Cubs make a serious offer to is Michael Bourn

Absolute love the guy(is my man crush showing?) but at this time is that what the Cubs need? Lets settle 3rd base and possible corner rh outfielder with some pop. DD can slide over to center and be effective for another year or two while minors develop. This team needs hitting and run production more than anything right now.

#23 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:21 AM

This is a very good point. And they have OODLES of cash to spend. I guess we'll find out based on whether they trade Garza or not. I can't see them trading him with ideas of trying to compete in 2013 or 2014.

Depends on who they get back. If they can land a Jacob Turner type pitcher, that guy could be their No 2 starter next season. Then it's a matter of signing an ace (or as close to one as they can get) and heading into 2013 with a rotation of FA / Turner / Samardzija / Wood / Pick One. If they can land a Turner type guy and sign two quality pitchers, then we could be looking at a rotation in which Travis Wood is the fifth starter.

On the other hand, if they trade Garza for players not likely to arrive before 2014 or so, it gets more difficult.

I think we'll know a lot more about when the Cubs intend to be competitive on Aug 1.

#24 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:13 PM

merging these topics together - MODERATE'D

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#25 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:46 PM

merging these topics together - MODERATE'D

NIce, I was all "what the fuck?, I thought I posted that link in the other thread!"

#26 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:52 PM

Ok, get Headley, sign Bourn and Hamels and you have a solid core without giving up too much youth.

Do teams still lose a 1st round pick for signing a qualified fa?

#27 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:36 PM

Ok, get Headley, sign Bourn and Hamels and you have a solid core without giving up too much youth.

I believe it's only if the original team offers the impending free agent 12 million dollars or so and the player turns it down.

#28 Brady

Brady

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:46 AM

I don't see us trading Garza (unless a sweet deal comes across) with Dempster performing as good as he is. I'd like to see Garza extended and Dempster traded. (Hopefully bring him back next season too with maybe someone like Hamels?). I like Headley a lot and wanted us to go after him this offseason more than Stewart (though don't mind getting rid of Colvin for a chance at Stewart).

#29 chirogerg1

chirogerg1

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:47 AM

If the Cubs signed Hamels, for instance, the Phillies only have to map a $12M/yr or so offer to get a Comp. A pick. Under no circumstance can the Cubs lose a pick

#30 chirogerg1

chirogerg1

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:14 AM

How about this for next year:

Trade Barney, Vitters, and Volstad for Headley and PTBNL
Trade Garza + PTBNL for Turner, Castellanos, Rondon
Dempster + PTBNL to Braves for Benthancourt + PTBNL
Soriano to Os for Eduardo Rodriguez
Soto to Rays for PTBNL
Cubs sign Hamels for 7-8 years, Kelly Johnson for 3-4, Demp for 1 + club option

Lineup:
DeJesus RF
Castro SS
Headley 3B
Rizzo 1B
LaHair LF
Johnson 2B
Castillo/Clevenger C
Campana/Jackson CF
Pitcher

Rotation:
Hamels
Turner
Dempster
Shark
Wood

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).