TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:55 AM

DM me and I will give you my cell number.

And credit card and social security numbers, too?

#17 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:29 AM

DM me and I will give you my cell number.

And credit card and social security numbers, too?

Posted Image

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#18 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:00 PM

You might be able to bribe your son with the promise of a trip to the Zoo / Children's Museum in Indianapolis (both are fantastic), and then wear him out so much there he sleeps all the way to Chicago.

Yes to the Children's Museum - outstanding! The Zoo is big but not as good as advertised. As for Northern Indiana, not much there Amish country is interesting. But I'd suggest going south on 37 so you can drive through Southern Indiana and see the Indiana bogs, but of course the best idea is to stop by Grand Rapids enjoy a bunch of Founder's (which by the way you can get in Indiana) then pick me up and drop me off when you get to Indianapolis where we can enjoy a couple of breweries and then head off the Bloomington where you can see a real college campus, drink some Upland and look at all the lovely ladies.

pick me up too I'm on the way to GR!

#19 butlerdawgs

butlerdawgs

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:mwerner1814

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:24 AM

Well that is HUGELY helpful. Thanks, Luke. While the Evansville/Vincennes detour is quite a bit farther out of the way than I would like, I'm keen on the West from Columbus part. I've been to Columbus itself a few times, and while I could never find anything really great to eat (I won't do chains), it's a really architecturally interesting town, especially considering its location.

I had been thinking about driving south to make a quick visit past Alma Matter in Champaign and cutting across to I-65 via I-74m but maybe I'll drop off of I-74 at Indiana 231 to Bloomington and hook up with 37 on the route that you describe. Hmm...

Anyone have any north-of-Indianapolis suggestions?

I've been to Columbus a few times, and the architecture is really interesting. I've heard some people refer to it as the Athens of the Prairie, that may take it a little far. As for places to eat. There's a really nice restaurant called Smith's Row, but if you're going through Nashville I would recommend a trip to the Nashville House restaurant for their fried biscuits and apple butter.

#20 butlerdawgs

butlerdawgs

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:mwerner1814

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:39 AM

As for the Children's Museum and Zoo in Indy. Children's Museum is a must stop. A ton of interactive stuff for kids to do. The Zoo has gotten a lot better and has a pretty cool new cheetah exhibit. Kids can even "race" a cheetah (to be clear the kids aren't actually racing a cheetah, the kid runs and they have a timer to show how far a cheetah can go in the same amount of time).

#21 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:21 PM

the most exciting thing to happen to me while driving through Indiana was seeing a hare krishna (sp?) at a Terre Haute gas station. I didn't know they still existed.

#22 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:06 PM

Well that is HUGELY helpful. Thanks, Luke. While the Evansville/Vincennes detour is quite a bit farther out of the way than I would like, I'm keen on the West from Columbus part. I've been to Columbus itself a few times, and while I could never find anything really great to eat (I won't do chains), it's a really architecturally interesting town, especially considering its location.

I had been thinking about driving south to make a quick visit past Alma Matter in Champaign and cutting across to I-65 via I-74m but maybe I'll drop off of I-74 at Indiana 231 to Bloomington and hook up with 37 on the route that you describe. Hmm...

Anyone have any north-of-Indianapolis suggestions?

I've been to Columbus a few times, and the architecture is really interesting. I've heard some people refer to it as the Athens of the Prairie, that may take it a little far. As for places to eat. There's a really nice restaurant called Smith's Row, but if you're going through Nashville I would recommend a trip to the Nashville House restaurant for their fried biscuits and apple butter.

I first went to Columbus on a field trip (!) of all things in the mid-90's when I was a student in landscape architecture. The city's focus on architecture in the public space is commendable. It's a really pleasant city to be in. Outside of the Indiana thing, really.

#23 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:07 PM

Indy Children's Museum is a must. The Zoo has gotten a lot better and has a pretty cool new cheetah exhibit. Kids can even "race" a cheetah (to be clear the kids aren't actually racing a cheetah...).

Well, you had me until the end...

#24 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:08 PM

the most exciting thing to happen to me while driving through Indiana was seeing a hare krishna (sp?) at a Terre Haute gas station. I didn't know they still existed.

To be dreadfully honest, that's far more exciting than anything that's ever happened to me in Indiana.

#25 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:37 PM

To be dreadfully honest, that's far more exciting than anything that's ever happened to me in Indiana.

One of these days head to Newburgh, IN, ask the locals for recommendations, and chow down on a brain sandwich. I guarantee it will be more interesting than people pumping gas in Terre Haute.

Though if you stick to your off the Interstate plan that takes you down through the hill country of Southern Indiana, you'll have a much more enjoyable trip anyway. Parts of that region feel more like West Virginia than the Corn Belt.

#26 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:41 PM

One of these days head to Newburgh, IN, ask the locals for recommendations, and chow down on a brain sandwich. I guarantee it will be more interesting than people pumping gas in Terre Haute.

Though if you stick to your off the Interstate plan that takes you down through the hill country of Southern Indiana, you'll have a much more enjoyable trip anyway. Parts of that region feel more like West Virginia than the Corn Belt.

The brain sandwiches are more of a west side Evansville thing. They taste fine but the texture ...

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#27 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:54 PM

The brain sandwiches are more of a west side Evansville thing. They taste fine but the texture ...

Are they? I know the Fall Festival is on the West Side, but I thought the quintessential brain on a bun hailed from Newburgh.

Regardless, grab some mustard and have at!

#28 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:28 AM

Just one small note about the trip: if it wasn't 102°, southern Indiana might have been more pleasant of a drive.

#29 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:00 AM

What, they don't have gas stations in Michigan?!

#30 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:25 PM

I've only seen hare krishna in Terre Haute and Gainesville, Florida... there were a bunch of them and they were banging drums and dancing around while chanting "hari hari hari hari KRISHNAAAAAA" so I guess the most exciting thing to happen to me in Indiana was the second most entertaining Hari Krishna encounter of my life

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).