3 replies to this topic

#1 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:50 PM

Reading that the Cubs cut him this week. Any idea why he never played this year for the Cubs?

I was surprised by this, even if Bogaerts is a non-prospect.

#2 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:55 PM

I think he just got crowded out. He's a 1B / DH only, apparently the outfield really isn't an option, and the Cubs have no room at 1B. They are already splitting Dan Vogelbach and Jacob Rogers there in Arizona, and Gretzky is still listed as a 1B on the roster (I'm a little skeptical). Shoulders is in Boise, Hoilman is in Peoria. I suppose they could have bumped Hoilman to Daytona now that Jones is gone, but they just sent Ridling down there.

I really think it was just a numbers game. They just had no where to play him.

He did, I think, get a long look in extended spring training, though. He wasn't cut blindly.

#3 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:58 PM

I think he just got crowded out. He's a 1B / DH only, apparently the outfield really isn't an option, and the Cubs have no room at 1B. They are already splitting Dan Vogelbach and Jacob Rogers there in Arizona, and Gretzky is still listed as a 1B on the roster (I'm a little skeptical). Shoulders is in Boise, Hoilman is in Peoria. I suppose they could have bumped Hoilman to Daytona now that Jones is gone, but they just sent Ridling down there.

I really think it was just a numbers game. They just had no where to play him.

He did, I think, get a long look in extended spring training, though. He wasn't cut blindly.

Thanks, Luke. I'm sure he did get a look in EST, I was still just surprised. Cubs did really well on the throw-in's from Boston in the two deals...lol.

#4 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:03 PM

At least that reliever in Peoria, Hunter Cervenka, is somewhat working out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).