Edgar

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:49 AM

http://calltothepen....starlin-castro/

Saw this and thought me being 2 years younger than him i would gladly take 40 mil. Thoughts

#2 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:56 PM

Meh go big or go home...20 years $200m with 100m in bonuses and incentives.

#3 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:25 PM

OK I'll play. I am Castro. Do I sell my arb opportunities?
It is a little like a lottery payout, no?
So let's apply some wisdom from there.
First, although I have my agent working for me, why wouldn't he structure me for what serves his needs ($ and otherwise) at the expense of my needs? So, I hire one or two other lawyer-types to help me understand what he (Kinsler?) is going to be advocating. --a Connecticut lottery winner recently did this with three lawyers and his/her one winning megaticket. The lawyers are clearly some kind of front hiding the winner's identity AND a check-and-balance system on each other.

Second, whatever I do, I structure my payouts over long periods so I give myself a chance to learn how to handle millions. (Probably after I retire and have time to put into managing an estate.) So many people screw-up rich-and-famous in the first few years. I might, too. (Do I need to name names here?) Plus, the corporation might give me a better deal if I let them push payouts down the road, so that is more leverage for 20-something me.

Third, I have to understand both who I am fundamentally (will I be motivated by the built-in future conflict with managment, or will I thrive and experience greater happiness in a secure envronment?), and what their endgame is, too. We are both selling sureity in the proposed contract change.

That third part is tough, and I would need a team of tea leaf readers to figure some of that out.

Plus I'm thinking , Will we be making our balls-to-the-wall, post-season run in year two or year four or year seven of my contract? Am I making myself tradebait? If I don't adjust the terms now, will I be crippling team finances in year X making it tougher to finally get the WS? Do I care about those prizes vs. M$'s?

If I'm Castro, I'm feeling a sudden need to hire some more suits to track this stuff for me so I can concentrate on, ya' know, playing baseball.

Me, FFP, I'd finally sell the arb years for the sure thing. But, that's me.

Many of the best competitors in our sport (some with lifetime bans, and prison sentences) wouldn't sell, I think. They are cocky risk-takers. We'll all be rooting for them tomorrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).