27 replies to this topic

#1 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:28 PM

So, entering the 2013 season, the Cubs have just under $35m spoken for, almost 28m of which is tied into two players: Soriano (19m) and Marmol (9.8m). The following players aren't included on that list:

Garza (4th arb)
Soto (3rd)
Corpas (3rd)
Volstad (2nd)
Stewart (2nd)
Castro (1st)
Russell (1st)
Valbuena (1st)
Samardzija (1st)

If the Cubs deal Garza and Soto before the deadline, which I think will happen, I see the rest of those players adding about 20m in payroll. So that puts the Cubs at 55m. Adding in all the automatic renewals, that's about 7m more. So 62m.

The remaining lineup/staff would look something like this:

C: Castillo/Clevenger
1B: Rizzo
2B: Barney/Cardenas
SS: Castro
3B: Valbuena/Stewart
LF: Soriano
CF: UK/DeJesus
RF: UK/DeJesus/LaHair

Staff:

1: UK
2: UK
3: Wood
4: Samardzija
5: Volstad

Pen:

CL: Marmol
S: Russell
S: Dolis
R: Corpas
And then a bunch of guys who haven't shown anything.

That leaves 47m (approximately) to reach 2012 payroll numbers. Do the Cubs spend it? Here's a list of interesting UFAs (remember, Garza/Dempster/Soto should bring back 3-7 prospects of varying awesomeness):

SP: Hamels, Greinke, Liriano, Marcum, McCarthy, Matsuzaka, A. Sanchez,
OF: M. Cabrera, Bourn, Hamilton, Quentin, Upton, Victorino, D. Young

47m Could certainly get Hamels, Liriano and any OF not named Hamilton.

From the LOOKS of it, that might be close to putting together a division winner (Central blows).

Do Jed/Theo/Ricketts do it? I mean, it's just money and the farm would already be replenished from the Garza/Dempster/Soto (DeJesus/LaHair?) deals.

Discuss.

#2 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:18 PM

I like how you put Soriano in left....more than likely very realistic...I would love to be wrong, but way too many people on this board think we will get something for him....with Orioles out...I just don 't see a landing spot for him....

I see Vitters somewhere in 2013 lineup...

#3 chirogerg1

chirogerg1

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:18 PM

Don't forget that we could also resign Dempster (probs about $8-9M a year), which means no Volstad
Bourn/Upton could both be good or bad, and we could potentially have Jackson in CF (you're not a fan, are you?) and sign a guy that can play all OF (Melky Cabrera) with DeJesus/LaHair in RF
I like the sound of it overall. Could be a huge jump up, but you have to think that we have to upgrade from Soriano, upgrade from Garza (Hamels), and hope for good years from 2B, 3B, and RF. Good thoughts

#4 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:29 PM

Don't forget that we could also resign Dempster (probs about $8-9M a year), which means no Volstad
Bourn/Upton could both be good or bad, and we could potentially have Jackson in CF (you're not a fan, are you?) and sign a guy that can play all OF (Melky Cabrera) with DeJesus/LaHair in RF
I like the sound of it overall. Could be a huge jump up, but you have to think that we have to upgrade from Soriano, upgrade from Garza (Hamels), and hope for good years from 2B, 3B, and RF. Good thoughts

Not a big fan of Jackson, no. That doesn't mean I don't think he can approach being a very average regular, because I do think he can...mainly on the benefit of his defense. I would still prefer Upton/Bourn over him easily, as his best defensive position is going to be LF and Soriano is going to be there until further notice.

I still think Volstad is going to be better...his FIP over his career is so much better than he's showed. Maybe he hates pitching in cold weather? I don't know.

#5 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:37 PM

I'd rather see one, blue chip 30M FA; than 3 "wow, he's really good!" 10M FA's.
But, trust me, Theo is FA-shy. And he should be.

It just seems that developed players are the opposite of developing players. Young players are each a gamble, so I want lots of those. Old dudes are each one-of-a-(known)kind. Get the best one you can afford.

Please, don't misunderstand. I don't mean hire some guy who WAS great and has the reputation. We don't need a "name player"--We'll need his numbers.

#6 BFiddy

BFiddy

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Twitter:Bridger_Macau
  • Facebook:Bridger Fetters
  • LocationMacau

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:10 AM

I'd rather see one, blue chip 30M FA; than 3 "wow, he's really good!" 10M FA's.
But, trust me, Theo is FA-shy. And he should be.

It just seems that developed players are the opposite of developing players. Young players are each a gamble, so I want lots of those. Old dudes are each one-of-a-(known)kind. Get the best one you can afford.

Please, don't misunderstand. I don't mean hire some guy who WAS great and has the reputation. We don't need a "name player"--We'll need his numbers.

So are you saying you want Josh Hamilton?
And that's a bad miss...

#7 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:56 AM

the only way that Brett Jackson makes it is if his power goes to the Adam Dunn level to match his Adam Dunn level strikeouts....

ok maybe not the only way...but his swinging and missing is not likely to improve dramatically...

#8 rcleven

rcleven

Bleacher Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:18 AM

I have two want's for next spring. RH Outfielder who can give you a 770/800 OPS to spell LaHair in right against LHP'S.
A decent RH third baseman. 20-25 HR Power. Stewart's wrist issues give me doubt he will be effective for another two years if ever. Not worth the gamble.
Most of the pitching named above will not be available over the winter. A trade of Demp or Garza or both must produce at least one or two MLB ready pitchers.

#9 Robbo

Robbo

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:24 AM

Biggest piece still missing on the farm is frontline staters. Who will headline the rotation? if garza/demp/soto/other deadline deals don't bring back starters with #1 or #2 future potential this has to be addressed in FA. Hamels, Marcum, McCarthy interest me the most.

#10 RizzoFanclub

RizzoFanclub

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLouisville,KY

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:42 AM

Great topic and idea's. I think the Cubs trade Garza and Dempster, I think next year offseason will go as follows: Sign Cody Ross to a 2 year deal, Sign Anibal Sanchez and a veteran pitcher that could be a great trade chip (Ervin Santana comes to mind he could do well in the NL Central) I think Lahair or Soriano gets traded and I would love the cubs to take a chance on a guy like Stephen Drew to play 2nd or 3rd and let Barney platoon 3rd or 2nd and be a super utility guy. The move from short would help Drews health and let the cubs have good D on both sides of Castro. Also sign Scott Hairston to platoon with Lahair if Soriano gets traded. The lineup looks like this: Dejesus,Castro,Rizzo,Ross,Lahair/Soriano,Drew,Clevenger/Castillo,Stewert/Barney. Pitching:Sanchez,Santana,Wood,Shark,Volstad/trade that we get this off season.

#11 Drew

Drew

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Twitter:@Drew7
  • LocationUrbana, IL

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:38 AM

Great topic and idea's. I think the Cubs trade Garza and Dempster, I think next year offseason will go as follows: Sign Cody Ross to a 2 year deal, Sign Anibal Sanchez and a veteran pitcher that could be a great trade chip (Ervin Santana comes to mind he could do well in the NL Central) I think Lahair or Soriano gets traded and I would love the cubs to take a chance on a guy like Stephen Drew to play 2nd or 3rd and let Barney platoon 3rd or 2nd and be a super utility guy. The move from short would help Drews health and let the cubs have good D on both sides of Castro. Also sign Scott Hairston to platoon with Lahair if Soriano gets traded. The lineup looks like this: Dejesus,Castro,Rizzo,Ross,Lahair/Soriano,Drew,Clevenger/Castillo,Stewert/Barney. Pitching:Sanchez,Santana,Wood,Shark,Volstad/trade that we get this off season.

I'm not big on signing Ross (I'd rather them keep Dejesus for less $), but I wouldnt mind Stephen Drew for the right price.

#12 RizzoFanclub

RizzoFanclub

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLouisville,KY

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:59 AM

Only reason I said Ross is he seems like the type of guy that Theo will sign. I said we should keep both Dejesus and Ross. This would let Jackson stay in the minors for another year and try to work on his strikeouts.

#13 chirogerg1

chirogerg1

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:29 AM

I would not like Stephen Drew for the Cubs. He is known for solid D at short and an average bat. Plus, he probably wouldn't sign if he knew he wouldn't play short. If you want him to play second, why not just sign Kelly Johnson, who is a natural second baseman and a better hitter.
So:
Clevenger C
Rizzo 1B
Johnson 2B
Castro SS
Vitters 3B

#14 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:54 AM

I would not like Stephen Drew for the Cubs. He is known for solid D at short and an average bat. Plus, he probably wouldn't sign if he knew he wouldn't play short. If you want him to play second, why not just sign Kelly Johnson, who is a natural second baseman and a better hitter.
So:
Clevenger C
Rizzo 1B
Johnson 2B
Castro SS
Vitters 3B

Not trying to quibble, but Johnson is a natural OFer who was converted to 2B by the Braves.

Just sayin'.

#15 chirogerg1

chirogerg1

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:26 PM

whatever dude. My point was that he's more valuable at second than Stephen Drew is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).