27 replies to this topic

#16 Hector Villanueva

Hector Villanueva

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:45 PM

Be surprised if they sign a 2B considering Baez and Morrison and their standing in the system. Baez should be at Double AA by the end of next year and Morrison at AAA begining of next. Cubs are a long way from signing and big name free agents. I don't see any need to sign anyone but a patch work player for next year two years. Build through the system not through free agency.

#17 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

Be surprised if they sign a 2B considering Baez and Morrison and their standing in the system.

Morrison?

I think you mean Logan Watkins, unless I've missed move somewhere.

#18 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:25 PM

Be surprised if they sign a 2B considering Baez and Morrison and their standing in the system. Baez should be at Double AA by the end of next year and Morrison at AAA begining of next. Cubs are a long way from signing and big name free agents. I don't see any need to sign anyone but a patch work player for next year two years. Build through the system not through free agency.

I think I'm okay with this. I do pose a question though: How does Ricketts justify a 60-70m dollar payroll when ticket prices are the 3rd highest in baseball?

That would seriously infuriate me. Especially since the new CBA limits that money from being put back in the minors through the draft and international free agents.

#19 chirogerg1

chirogerg1

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:49 PM

KJ is not really a big name FA, he is more of a solid affordable stopgap. Since when has anyone ever thought that Baez is a second baseman? Logan Watkins (who I assume is your "Morrison") is kInd of a nobody to me. He's batting .266 in AA with little power and only some speed. Personally, I like Zeke DeVoss better, but I don't think either of them are making enough noise to say that the Cubs shouldn't sign someone like Johnson to a 3-4 year deal.

#20 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

KJ is not really a big name FA, he is more of a solid affordable stopgap. Since when has anyone ever thought that Baez is a second baseman? Logan Watkins (who I assume is your "Morrison") is kInd of a nobody to me. He's batting .266 in AA with little power and only some speed. Personally, I like Zeke DeVoss better, but I don't think either of them are making enough noise to say that the Cubs shouldn't sign someone like Johnson to a 3-4 year deal.

Is Johnson even a FA? Cot's doesn't have him listed as one. He is kind of a poor man's Ian Kinsler though...wouldn't mind having him.

#21 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:18 PM

I'm all about Bourn, he is one of those true CF leadoff hitters, but him in CF and them place the RF/LF from within. A lineup of Bourn, Castro, Rizzo is an awesome way to start a game. Then spend of SP and the rest is figured out in house.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#22 Hector Villanueva

Hector Villanueva

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:43 PM

Sorry, meant Watkins. I just don't see where else you would put Baez. Would he unseat Castro? Probably not. Vitters looks to be growing into the homegrown everyday 3B the Cubs have been searching for since Santo and Lake is also an option. 2B seems the only other place to put Baez.

#23 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:01 PM

Baez is years away yet, but when the time comes he may not have much trouble replacing Vitters. That would be a good problem to have, but they won't have it until 2015 or so.

#24 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:05 PM

I think I'm okay with this. I do pose a question though: How does Ricketts justify a 60-70m dollar payroll when ticket prices are the 3rd highest in baseball?

That would seriously infuriate me. Especially since the new CBA limits that money from being put back in the minors through the draft and international free agents.

I would tend to agree. That's part of why I think the Cubs are likely to spend on pitching this winter. They don't have much in the system, most of what they do have is very low in the system, and there will be some good arms on the market. It makes too much sense to not try to invest that way.

That doesn't mean they'll be successful, though, and I don't want them to sign stupid contracts. If Oakland decides to offer Hamels a 7 year $250 million dollar contract, I will not complain about Theo not outbidding them. (Just an example, not an actual rumor.)

#25 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:43 PM

I'm all about Bourn, he is one of those true CF leadoff hitters, but him in CF and them place the RF/LF from within. A lineup of Bourn, Castro, Rizzo is an awesome way to start a game. Then spend of SP and the rest is figured out in house.

Bourn is awesome. I'd love the Cubs to sign him.

#26 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:04 PM

I'v said this before, but there are many out there who think that because we pased on Fielder and Pujols, we won't do any big spending in the next few years. I disagree. What we do know is that our side did have interest in Pujols and Fiedler at our price. What we don't know is what our price was. I'm sure our guys knew that it was likely to be at least 18mil/year, but I suspect that in the end, the years scared them away more than the price.

The old regime might have taken that money and used it for whatever, but since there really was nothing out there that could have really fit in with what they wanted, they chose to hang on to it.

This being said, next off season, we wil have needs, and there will be avaialbe free agnts to fill them, assuming that they don't get too expensive. Lets start with a roguh positional breakdown, going by whatwe have. I don't include those who have little to know chance of being back next year. Here'swhat we have/need

1st Base: Rizzo, LaHair
2nd Base: Barney, Cardenas, Valbuena: Barney has proved his worth with his defense, and Valbuena and Cardenas are both worthy backup IFs. However
SS: Castro, Barney
3B: Stewart: I'd really like to see what Stewart can do when his wrist heals. If it doesn't we have Vitters as plan B, with Valbuena or Cardenas to bridge the gap if needed.
LF: Even is Soriano makes it rhrought the season with the Cubs, and puts up solid numbers, knee surgery likely awaits him, and at age 37, decline is very likely. Here'a a spot we could use a free agent.
CF; DeJesus can play CF. Brett Jackson is my 1st choice to start the 2013 season in CF. I just hope he can improve those K rates. The fact that he still OPSs in the mid .800s even striking out every other at bat suggests that he could be great if he could fix it.
RF: Between LaHair and DeJesus, I fugure one can start and we can aquire a 2nd corner OF.
C: Soto or Castillo start, Clevenger backup. I'm OK with it for now.

Rotation: Dempster Garza? Samardzjia, Wood, Maholm or Volstad. I'm OK with the 3-5. However, I'd like to either resign Garza and add another front end guy or trade Garza with someone with front end potential, and sign someone like McCarthy, Anibal Sanchez, or Marcum. Maybe even take a chance on Bedard. I'd love to add Hamels, but like Pujols and Fielder, I think that the cost will get higher than our guys are willing to go.

Bullpen: Marmol is a trade candidate. Even if he is, between Cabrera, Russell, Dolis, Beliveau, J. Jackson, Rhoderick, Bowden, Hatley, Batista, Maine, Antigua, Parker, and Mateo, I think that we can piece togther a solid bullpen. The question is, is there a closer in there anywhere? Cabrera certainly has the stuff.

Bench: Again, between LaHair, Valbuena, Cardenas, Sappelt, Campana, I think we put together a respectable bench. I wouldn't be opposed to finding someone else on a minor league deal with an invite, but there's no reason to go out of the way for another Reed Johsnon

So really, our main holes are: a corner OF with a big bat. The available options are Ethier, who might be extended and will also be 31 by opesning day and looking at a 5-7 year deal and B.J. Upton, who I'd be very interested in at the right price. Obviously there's Hamilton, but he'll be 32, and looking at some type of record setting deal. Worth the risk? Spoiler alert: Former drug abusers bodies don't tend to hold up so well, no matter how clean they get themselves.

Front end pitching: Realistic options include Garza, McCarthy, Sanchez, Marcum, Bedard

#27 chirogerg1

chirogerg1

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:53 PM

Is Johnson even a FA? Cot's doesn't have him listed as one. He is kind of a poor man's Ian Kinsler though...wouldn't mind having him.

http://www.mlbtrader...ree-agents.html

#28 RizzoFanclub

RizzoFanclub

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLouisville,KY

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:52 PM

I think a lot depends on the next month how active the cubs will be during free agency, if they get what they want and trade Garza I don't see any big free agent signings maybe a Cody Ross, and a couple 1-2 year deals on pitchers (Bedard,Ervin Santana) something along those types that the cubs can flip at the trade deadline and pick up some more top 15-20ish prospects of a team. If the cubs did that again next year along with another top 5 draft pick they could have a top 5 farm system. Then the fun would begin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).