Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:28 AM

Are the Reds thinking about converting Marshall to a hitter? Does he have a chance of hitting 60 HRs anytime soon? More realistically, has he put together a string of quality starts lately?

One of the problems with Cub fans(and I am one of them and will admit to being guilty of this sometimes) is we tend to over-value and get way too attached to players(remember Mark DeRosa?) This can be the only explanation for fans still upset that we traded Marshall away?

Travis Wood's recent stretch is NOT the only reason why I am making this point...the level that Wood has been pitching at is not sustainable...but his ceiling is a good number 3 starter in the bigs, and his floor.....if he washes out as a starter after a couple years...would be as a lefty set-up man.

More than likely, Travis Wood is a guy who will be a starter for awhile...Sean Marshall is a 30 year old reliever.

let him go.....

#2 Drew

Drew

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Twitter:@Drew7
  • LocationUrbana, IL

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:09 AM

Spot on, Chris. Marshall has likely hit his ceiling and was set to be a FA. If it were only Wood for Marshall, I may have thought twice about it (given Wood's struggles last season), but it wasn't - getting Torreyes and Sappelt in addition to Wood made the move a no-brainer.

Also, you're right: Nobody seems to be up-in-arms about DeRosa anymore, since Archer helped net us Garza.

#3 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:45 AM

Nobody seems to be up-in-arms about DeRosa anymore, since Archer helped net us Garza.

I think that has a little more to do with the amount of time that has passed and Hendry being gone.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#4 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

We got a young, mid rotation with several years under team control, a very young, high ceiling middle infielder with a lot of promise, and a decent 4th OF type so we don't have to spend on another Reed Johnson. Marshall is impending free agent who may have gotten very expensive. The Reds gave him 3/16.5, which I doubt our guys would have. I'll say we won that trade by a comfortable margin.

#5 #1lahairfan

#1lahairfan

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:32 PM

always had a good feeling about that trade

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).