Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:53 PM

I am 44 years old. I have seen a home movie projector become a vcr and then become a dvd to a blue-ray..I have seen records...to 8 tracks...to cassettes...to cds...to digital music...

unlimited technological advances!

but fireworks are basically the same as when I was a kid...

you'd think they would spell letters, or pictures or people or even animation..

nope....same fu%^ing thing...

#2 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:50 PM

I realized something this July 4th.

On a holiday that recognizes an American victory over Great Britain, we celebrate with a Chinese invention often launched to the soundtrack of a symphony written by Russian composer celebrating a French military defeat. The American's allies in the war celebrated by July 4th? The French.

Somewhere in that tangled mess hides the secret of the universe, I'm sure of it...

#3 Brady

Brady

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:54 AM

Today's fireworks brought to you by the delicious taste of "Charleston Chews"! AROOOOOO!!

#4 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:03 AM

I am 44 years old. I have seen a home movie projector become a vcr and then become a dvd to a blue-ray..I have seen records...to 8 tracks...to cassettes...to cds...to digital music...

unlimited technological advances!

but fireworks are basically the same as when I was a kid...

you'd think they would spell letters, or pictures or people or even animation..

nope....same fu%^ing thing...

There HAVE been some advances, but for the most part "same 'ol, same 'ol". Though not spelling words, or animations, there are now fireworks that form "pictures".... During the July 4th Fireworks televised on NBC last night, there were fireworks that when exploded formed red "kissing lips". There were also fireworks that created Saturn-like planets with rings around them. Both pretty cool. I've also heard of fireworks that produce the '70s Smiley Face, but I have yet to see them.

Even with those advances, and even if there were animations, I don't really enjoy fireworks. Fireworks are like going to the zoo. Seen one, you've seen 'em all.

#5 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:13 AM

What's not fun about blowing stuff up? That being said, it was too dang hot last night to enjoy them so we stayed home.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#6 butlerdawgs

butlerdawgs

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:mwerner1814

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:26 AM

Pretty much all the fireworks around Indy were cancelled and the use of personal fireworks were banned. The only places I knew that were still having their displays were Carmel and Indy. For me, it was way to hot to go watch them though. Instead I grilled brats and drank beer.

#7 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:13 AM

I realized something this July 4th. On a holiday that recognizes an American victory over Great Britain, we celebrate with a Chinese invention often launched to the soundtrack of a symphony written by Russian composer celebrating a French military defeat. The American's allies in the war celebrated by July 4th? The French. Somewhere in that tangled mess hides the secret of the universe, I'm sure of it...

This was amazing, don't forget that most folks end up eating and drinking items originated in Germany.

If you want to celebrate the 4th the American way, dress up in a three piece suit, put on a heavy wig, lock yourself in a room with no A/C or ventilation on a 95 degree day and argue with 50 other lawyers about a piece of paper! To combine new with old, grab yourself a plate of bacon, set that on a Lazy Susan next to your Lazy Boy, search for an hour to find the remote to put the game on and wash it all down with a pop.

'MERICA, fuck ya.

#8 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:20 PM

So they dun goofed the San Diego fireworks show.

instead of it being 18 minutes long, they launched all of them at once on accident
the results were pretty cool:

#9 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

So they dun goofed the San Diego fireworks show.

instead of it being 18 minutes long, they launched all of them at once on accident
the results were pretty cool:

Instead of 18 minutes, it lasted just 18 seconds. What an incredible "Grand Finale" that must have been!!!! And the beauty of it is, the viewers saved nearly 16 minutes of their life that they'd never have been able to get back.... It's a win-win!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).