daddies3angels

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Twitter:daddies3angels
  • LocationPeoria IL

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:00 PM

There is a report out there that ARI is taking offer for him. Should Cubs go after? Could offer Jackson, Vitters +

Cubs dont seem to be fans of Vitters at all. I take Upton over Jackson cause Upton proven

#2 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:06 PM

I don't think that lands Justin Upton.

To be honest, I'm not sure Upton would be worth the price for the Cubs right now. There does not seem to be a lot of love between Upton and Arizona. If I'm the Cubs, I think I might sign B.J. Upton as a free agent and hope Justin decides to test the market when his AZ contract is up. And that decides to come play with his brother.

#3 daddies3angels

daddies3angels

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationPeoria IL

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:10 PM

Upton not a FA till after 2015 season, dont want to see Cubs tie up B.J that long. Not fan of BJ at all.

#4 rcleven

rcleven

Bleacher Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:41 PM

Upton not a FA till after 2015 season, dont want to see Cubs tie up B.J that long. Not fan of BJ at all.

Heard rumors that AZ & Cubs have talked. Only Rumors. AZ not looking for pitching.

#5 DaneHuseman

DaneHuseman

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Twitter:dhuseman

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:25 PM

Heard rumors that AZ & Cubs have talked. Only Rumors. AZ not looking for pitching.

Arizona *is* looking for pitching. They had scouts at Garza's last start.

#6 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:50 AM

I'd trade Castro for him straight up without even blinking.

#7 rcleven

rcleven

Bleacher Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:36 AM

Arizona *is* looking for pitching. They had scouts at Garza's last start.

Cubs looking for pitching. I would guess the Upton talks are just a tire kicker. They would be 2 different deals.

#8 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:19 AM

I would blink so hard that my eyes would bleed.

#9 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:31 AM

I would sooner stab myself in the eyes. I'd love Upton, but Castro is too high of a price, and we really don't have anything else that would keep the D Backs on the phone.

#10 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:09 AM

I would sooner stab myself in the eyes. I'd love Upton, but Castro is too high of a price, and we really don't have anything else that would keep the D Backs on the phone.

I was listening to Bowden on Sirius the other day and he made a fantastic point. The team that is selling the prospects or moving a player knows him infinetly better than the acquiring team. The contract isn't getting terrible expensive until 2014 (and even then who wouldn't want a $14M player who has an OPS+ in the 120's? There must be some concern that the dip in slugging this year is going to be an ongoing thing.

#11 Carew

Carew

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:31 AM

What would it take to get Upton (that does NOT include Castro)?

#12 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:59 AM

What would it take to get Upton (that does NOT include Castro)?

I'd say 3 top 10 prospects from a strong system or top young players. Something we don't have to offer, nor do a lot of teams.

There's a big difference betrween listening to offers on a player and actively shopping them. Basically, there's no urgency to trade Upton, and thyey'll happily hang on to him but if somebody wants to bowl them over with an offer, they'll listen.

Kind of like what we were doing with Garza in the Winter. We didn;t necessarily want to trade him, but of someone was desperate enough to give the type of package that they would for an ace taken it. We didn't get such an offer, so here he is.

#13 Cubs Dude

Cubs Dude

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:00 PM

I would love it if the Cubs got in on the J. Upton trade rumors. 3rd place in NL MVP voting last year at 23, I could go for some of that! Sure, he's off to a slow start but he's a patient hitter who would look good with Castro, and Rizzo in the middle of the lineup.

#14 daddies3angels

daddies3angels

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationPeoria IL

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:07 PM

I would love it if the Cubs got in on the J. Upton trade rumors. 3rd place in NL MVP voting last year at 23, I could go for some of that! Sure, he's off to a slow start but he's a patient hitter who would look good with Castro, and Rizzo in the middle of the lineup.

what i was thinking to

2: Castro
3: Rizzo
4: Upton

Thats a great young core. All 25 and under

#15 Carew

Carew

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:22 PM

what i was thinking to

2: Castro
3: Rizzo
4: Upton

Thats a great young core. All 25 and under

With those 3, you could probably switch em around too...do you the FO would do a three team trade to try to land him and a pitcher perhaps?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).