13 replies to this topic

#1 EQ76

EQ76

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 03:38 PM

1) Zambrano (+ $$) & Colvin to the Marlins for Logan Morrison & prospect.
- An obvious top landing spot for Big Z with Guillen there now. Marlins are probably looking to move Morrison.

2) Geo Soto, Barney & prospect to LA Dodgers for Andre Ethier (+ maybe a prospect)
- Soto is decent behind the plate and affordable for now. Barney is still viewed by many as a good young player so maybe now's the time to trade him?? The Dodgers may look to shed payroll due to their financial problems. Ethier is a free agent at the end of next year. They may trade him for something while they can.

3) Soriano (+ $$) to Yankees for A.J. Burnett.
- Burnett's time there is up and he's been terrible. I believe Soriano has 1 or 2 more years left on his contract. Posada is done and they'll probably need a DH. Soriano could prove valuable in that lineup as DH, especially if the Cubs pay a portion of his contract to off set the Burnett contract. NY could save a little money here and get more production than Burnett's given them.

For the Cubs, Burnett would be a project to say the least. But, we get rid of Soriano who's fielding and 2 K's a game hurt us daily as opposed to Burnett who only plays every 5 days. If he doesn't work out, well at least his years left on contract are less than Soriano.

CONCLUSION - Adding Morrison & Ethier to our outfield would be an upgrade to say the least.. We would have Byrd as trade bait and BJax in the wings. Maybe if BJax rakes, Byrd could get dealt at the deadline.

Burnett could be an upgrade over Coleman & considering that all we really have is Garza and maybe Dempster next year, we could have 3 rotation spots to fill. Burnett's risk could be worth it if we get to dump Soriano.

#2 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 29 September 2011 - 03:42 PM

I like all of them and would be happy with any one of them. The Morrison for Big Z and Colvin swap could really work with Ozzie as the manager there now. Nice ideas EQ, this would not only improve the club, but clear a good amount of salary too.

#3 EQ76

EQ76

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 03:51 PM

Let's hope so, or at least similar type trades. Also, Boston may revamp and trade some players after their collapse and let's not forget, the Cubs could still go after a big name FA like Fielder. Could you imagine a lineup with Castro, Fielder, Ethier, & Morrison? That could be a nice group to hit somewhere in the top 5 in the batting order.

#4 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,646 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 29 September 2011 - 05:30 PM

I like all of them, but a few comments:

(1) I think, if there were a prospect in a Z/Colvin/Morrison swap, it would be coming from the Cubs, not the Marlins - and that's true even if the Cubs threw in a TON of money. Morrison is that good and that cheap.

(2) I don't know if the Cubs would have to include a prospect in a Soto/Barney (if they even want Barney) for Ethier deal. Well, at least not a top one. Ethier is great, but he swooned pretty precipitously this year, he'll be a free agent after the season, and will be paid handsomely (as much as $11 or $12 million). Soto is under control for two more years, plays a premium position, and has previously produced numbers as good as Ethier.

(3) Love it, but with Jesus Montero in tow, I don't think the Yanks will be looking for a DH (most don't think Montero can play adequate defense anywhere).

#5 auggie1955

auggie1955

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:06 AM

1) Z being traded to to the Marlins could very well happen, but I think a player the Cubs more likely would get back is Ricky Nolasco. The Marlins are upset with him and he's owed something like 10m each of the 2 seasons.

2) Maybe we can use Colvin or Byrd in this deal.

3) Soriano to NYY for Burnett is one I thought of myself. It makes sense for both teams and their contracts are fairly similar. Plus both teams have had enough of the players the already have.

When it comes to Colvin, an OF that I wonder if he will be available is Jason Heyward. He lost his starting job with ATL and he is only 22. I hope the Cubs look into this.

#6 Bails17

Bails17

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationMiddlebury, IN

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:50 AM

Jason Heyward isn't going anywhere.

#7 EQ76

EQ76

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:26 AM

1) Z being traded to to the Marlins could very well happen, but I think a player the Cubs more likely would get back is Ricky Nolasco. The Marlins are upset with him and he's owed something like 10m each of the 2 seasons.

3) Soriano to NYY for Burnett is one I thought of myself. It makes sense for both teams and their contracts are fairly similar. Plus both teams have had enough of the players the already have.

When it comes to Colvin, an OF that I wonder if he will be available is Jason Heyward. He lost his starting job with ATL and he is only 22. I hope the Cubs look into this.

I believe Nolasco was part of the D. Lee deal and we sent him to Florida..it would be interesting to get him back... I agree with Balis17, Heyward's not going anywhere.

#8 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:32 AM

I'm all for the Morrison trade but we'd have to give up 1-2 moderate prospects.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#9 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,646 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:43 AM

I believe Nolasco was part of the D. Lee deal and we sent him to Florida..it would be interesting to get him back... I agree with Balis17, Heyward's not going anywhere.

Juan Pierre.

Ricky Nolasco, Sergio Mitre and Reynel Pinto. One of Hendry's worst.

#10 EQ76

EQ76

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:46 AM

my word... now i remember.. how depressing.. juan freaking pierre.. wow.

#11 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:48 AM

He was scrappy!
Please don't feed the psychos.

#12 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:09 AM

He was scrappy!

He wasn't scrappy. He was dashing:

Posted Image

#13 EQ76

EQ76

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:10 AM

He was scrappy!

He wasn't scrappy. He was dashing:

Posted Image

maybe we can get him, Ron Jeremy a Coletti in a 'stache-combo deal

#14 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:54 AM

Jason Heyward isn't going anywhere.

I've actually read some different things about Heyward. It seems there are contrasting opinions of him in the Atlanta front office and some people don't think he's a building block. Wouldn't it be a great day to get Copolella and have him bring along one of his guys with him. For that matter, he can bring a few of those guys with him. I'm just not sure what the Cubs have that the Braves would want.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).