Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

Luke: What is going on with the other Sean Marshall trade pieces?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:08 PM

Hey Luke,

Was wondering how Sappelt and Torreyes were doing for the Cubs, and if you see them making the major league club anytime soon or not? Would love to hear any info you have on them, as well as any opinions you have on their progress.
- diehard fanclub member #002

#2 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:28 PM

Worse trade ever, we suck because we don't have Marshall anymore. Theo screwed us over and these two are turds in the Theo Bowl. MOAR

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#3 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:37 PM

Torreyes might be the best pure hitter in the system, but none of his other tools are exceptional (some put his defense in that category; I'm not one of them). He got off to a very slow start in Daytona, but has heated up very impressively of late. Last time I wrote about him in the Daily (a week or two ago, I think) I said he'll keep moving up the system so long as he can keep hitting for average, and I still believe that to be the case. He has that one exceptional tool, but that just about his only tool. That said, there is no reason to think he won't continue to hit for average he moves up the system. He is definitely one of the best second basemen in the farm system. He could be in Chicago in late 2014.

Sappelt is a prototypical defense minded fourth outfielder, and in that capacity he could come up if someone is traded out of the current outfield mix. He also got off to a slow start and has started hitting better of late. He won't win a starting job for the Cubs, but I think he could out hit Tony Campana (although Sappelt is no where near that fast).

#4 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:38 PM

Worse trade ever, we suck because we don't have Marshall anymore. Theo screwed us over and these two are turds in the Theo Bowl. MOAR

noooo, trading Colvin was the worst trade ever - clearly Theo didn't see the 2nd coming of Babe Ruth was on the Cubs...

#5 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:28 PM

Thanks Luke - that's encouraging. I was really excited about these two guys when we got them, but I hadn't heard too much about them recently. That's real good news about Torreyes. Barney has done a nice job at 2nd, but it's good to know we've got some options down there that can hit for the future.

Thanks for the update!

#6 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:18 AM

Do you think that Torreyes is a better prospect at 2nd than Zeke DeVoss? I've seen him play and really like his speed and effort in Peoria (though I know it's only low A ball).

#7 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:39 AM

I've never actually seen either play, (And I have no scouting ability anyway.) but what I have read about Torreyes reminds me of Corey Wimberly. I'm not saying Torreyes is on the same career path, but I am legitimately curious what happened to Wimberly.

#8 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:12 AM

I've never actually seen either play, (And I have no scouting ability anyway.) but what I have read about Torreyes reminds me of Corey Wimberly. I'm not saying Torreyes is on the same career path, but I am legitimately curious what happened to Wimberly.

Wimberly is currently in his 3rd year at AAA (age 28) with the Mets (his 4th team). His numbers do look decent this year though (as they should given his age at AAA).

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#9 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:12 AM

Do you think that Torreyes is a better prospect at 2nd than Zeke DeVoss? I've seen him play and really like his speed and effort in Peoria (though I know it's only low A ball).

No. But I am in the minority on this. I have more confidence in DeVoss's ability to get on base than I do in Torreyes's ability to hit for a high average. And I think Gioskar Amaya beats them both.

Though in the case of Torreyes, I do have to admit that age is significantly in his favor.

#10 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:26 AM

I was really surprised when I saw Torreyes in person this spring. You will see him listed at 5'9" in most publications, but he isn't that tall in my opinion. I would say 5'7" and 135 would be pushing it from what I saw. He looks so tiny out there that you are surprised he can hit the ball as hard as he does. I find it hard to get excited about a guy that small, with no power, so-so speed with no real base stealing skills, average defense, and around a 6% walk rate. He'd have to maintain a VERY high average to be of any value. Color me skeptical. Much higher on Amaya.

#11 Carew

Carew

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:37 AM

From what I saw from Sappelt when he was with Cincy last year, he is pretty fast and he aint afraid to make diving plays in the outfield. Pretty solid. Campana may wanna step up his game

#12 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:25 PM

Jose Altuve. That's Torreyes ceiling. They have reasonably similar numbers in the minors at the same ages, but Torreyes has a better eye, it seems...with less power.

I think we can all safely say we'd be thrilled with an Altuve-type player at 2B.

#13 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

Despite the dismal line, Torryes still remains a very high ceiling prospect. Reports were that he was making a lot of weak contact early on, though he has been improving lately. I think he's 19, so I'm still high on him.

Sappelt is what he is. He looked to be a decent 4th OF when we got him, but he's been pretty bad this year. His ceiling is Reed Johnson, which is OK for the 3rd piece in a deal.

The bottom line is that Mashall was an impending free agent in 2013, but the Reds gave him a 3/16.5 extension. I can't imagine that our guys would have given him that, and he likely would hae walked after the season. I remain happy with the trade.

#14 Cubsin

Cubsin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationO'Fallon, IL 62269

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:20 AM

Torreyes, Amaya, DeVoss and Logan Watkins all have a chance to become the Cubs 2B someday. My personal ranking right now would be Amaya, then Watkins, then DeVoss, then Torreyes. Torreyes' hit tool is overshadowed by his diminutive size and lack of other plus tools.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).